VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What data is transferred through VMotion Network ?

From my understanding, the VMotion Network is used for transferring the physical memory information used by a VM from one ESX Host to another one. On the other hand, in some document, it mentions that VM configuration of a running VM is also transferred.

Is there any idea on what running VM configuration is transferred ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

as far as I know this isn't the case. as far as I know the target is started with the config files of the source! I just checked the documentation that I have on this and it states nothing about config being sent over the line.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VM configuration file is stored on the shared storage so I don't think it would be transfered over VMotion network during a VMotion event. I think it's just the contents of RAM for the running VM.

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do think so when I ask this question. This is because the VM configuration file should be resided within the VM folder.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Leafy911
Expert
Expert

I would guess that it's anything that cannot be gained from the shared storage that is required to keep the VM running. The config is on the shared storage and therefore would not need to be transfered. Mainly its going to be whats in the memory initially and then when the VM is almost ready to switch it will be the final deltas, just my thoughts though. (the lock on the VM files would need to be passed to the new host, so some control info would be needed there)

Regards

Leafy911

(Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

Regards Leafy911 (Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)