VMware Cloud Community
sauvignec
Contributor
Contributor

Weird issue with Time after P2V

Here is the situation I have. I have a physical machine running Windows Server 2003 (member server in our domain). All the latest SPs and updates are applied. This server monitors our campus alert system. Every few hours, it sends an email to an admin with a list of the alert boxes and their status. I decided to P2V the system. I used VMWare Converter 3.0.3 (Yeah, I need to update it) to bring the server into my ESX 3.5 U4 setup. Process went fine with know obvious issues. I installed the VMWare tools and did all the necessary reboots. Everything looked fine.

The next morning, I am informed that the alert box status email is showing as 4 hours later than the actual time. First thought is Time Zone. I check the server and the time and time zones are correct. Just to be sure, I reboot the server. Upon reboot, I notice the time is off. It is showing 27 minutes BEHIND. I rebooted again and same thing happens. All other domain servers are showing the correct time. If I force this server to resync the time to the domain, it pulls the correct time. The VM is NOT set to sync time to ESX.

Next, I reboot the server and go into the BIOS. The time is correct in BIOS. I let it complete the boot and the time is again 27 minutes behind. I began to do a little research online. I looked back at the server and the time as correct! Weird. I rebooted again and the time is then 27 minutes behind. Within about 7 to 10 minutes, the time corrects itself!

Right now I have a patch on this issue. I set up a login script to resync time to the domain and that seems to have covered the problem. But if I turn off the script and reboot, the problem shows up again for the first several minutes the server is on but then corrects itself.

Does anyone have any idea what I can look at to resolve this? The login script works but is a band-aid, not a real fix. I did 2 other P2V's that day with no issues on either of those. Just this one.

Thanks!

Craig

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the froums!

First of all, why do you P2V a DC? Just setup a new one and join it to the domain (if there are no special reasons). That might cause less pain....

Regarding the time, how is your W32Time service configured? Please check it.

Look in the .vmx file of the guest if there are no "rtc." parameters included (however, I do not expect that).

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
sauvignec
Contributor
Contributor

The server is not a DC. It is just a domain member. The time service is set to pull the correct time from a DC. It seems to do that but it appears to wait nearly 10 minutes after login to do it. Also, there are not rtc. parameters set in the .vmx.

Craig

0 Kudos