VMware Cloud Community
vippat
Contributor
Contributor

Warnings with VCB

VCB Backups are working fine but I wondering if anybody knows what causes the following Warnings that I'm receiving:

0 Kudos
19 Replies
dblake15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe this message is harmless and is because the default log level has been increased.

0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor

In my case the same message isn't harmless. I use vcb with networker 7.3.2 and I test that networker's jobs, that use vcb scripts, hang up at the end of backup process untill I manual reboot the vcb proxy. I think that this happen because networker wait the success condition from the vcb framework that will never comes... Nobody had solved my problems...

I can do manual backups (full or file level) of my VMs and I can do consistent restore. Also with legato networker only that at the end of process backup networker shows the job still running even if it finish with 100% of completition state.

When vcb was rebooted I tried to restore my backupped VMs; all ok, if any problem occur during backup process I will not be able to restore VMs...

For now I scheduled a reboot of vcb each time VMS backup job ends, but this isn't the correct solution. Please if you have new ideas help me...

0 Kudos
mdina
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same error, and am curious if the VMs that were backed up are good or if the job failed. I did not schedule any reboots of the VCB and the legoato job just timed out with that error. If I come across anything, I will let post it here

0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor

I think yes the backup of my vms are good..

I tried to restore some of my virtualmachines... This operation really is not very easy... So I mounted the backupped disks on my VCBPROXY then I've imported the disks in my virtual infrastructure (using vm importer). Incredible rebboting the VM it works with the backup that I made. But...

The problem isn't solved....

The backups are good but legato hangs up

I think that Legato Networker, when make the backup of a VM, is listening from VCB an OK exit code that never comes and the backup JOB hang up untill I reboot the vcb proxy.

0 Kudos
JeevanV
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem whit my Netwoker v7.3.2 Jumbo and VCB v1.0.2.

0 Kudos
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have this running with 7.3.2 and the latest framework v 1.0.2 and have no problems.

Youll see from the Daemon.log file: nsrd: nw_7_3_2_jumbo.Build.386

Also from the Daemon.log file it also logs the error;

VM:testserver.test.com:\*FULL* \[2007-07-05 21:47:48.163 'BaseLibs' 4040 warning] \[Vmdb_Unset] Unsetting unknown path: /vmomi/

My group still still completes successful and always moans about not being able to log out. I would suggest upgrading to the latest 7.3.2 build which is build 399. The problem with the group not completing is a bug EMC tend to reintroduce every few versions.

Ill upgrade my 7.3.2 jumbo build 386 tomorrow to 7.3.2 build 399 and confirm everything still works ok.

0 Kudos
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ive upgraded Networker to 7.3.2 jumbo update 1 which is build 399

VCB backups complete 100% and as always the error message BaseLibs' 2400 warning] \[Vmdb_Unset] Unsetting unknown path: /vmomi/ does not effect the vcb backups. If you have problems with groups not completing i would raise a case with EMC.

0 Kudos
andy74_GZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have Networker 7.3.2 JumboBuild399 ESX 3.0.2 and VC 1.0.3.

This is my error message: 08/01/07 15:13:20 savegrp: command ' save_vcb.bat -s xy-nw.cd.com -g Client_test -LL -m xy-proxy.ba.com -o VSS:=OFF -l full -q -W 78 -N VM:xy-VM.cd.com:\FULL* VM:xy-VM.cd.com:FULL' for client xy-proxy.ba.com exited with return code -1

08/01/07 15:13:20 savegrp: job (570409) host: xy-proxy.ba.com savepoint: VM:xy-VM.cd.com:\*FULL* had ERROR indication(s) at completion.

08/01/07 15:13:20 savegrp: xy-proxy.ba.com:VM:xy-VM.cd.com:\*FULL* failed.

\[2007-08-02 12:16:29.351 'BaseLibs' 4772 warning] \[Vmdb_Unset] Unsetting unknown path: /vmomi/

Converting "D:\mnt\xy-VM.cd.com-fullVM\scsi0-0-0-xy-VM.vmdk" (compact file):

0%=====================50%=====================100%

Thanks Andy

0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor

I Founded the solution!!!!!! On networker 7.3.2 jumbo build 399 - VMware ESX3.0.1 - VCB 1.0; simply disabling monitoring the group.

that's all

0 Kudos
andy74_GZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, the solution don't fix the error and the backup is always fail.

0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor

My solution solves only the problem that affect the job completition status of networker; in your case I think that the problem depends of a misconfigured vcb proxy.

1- Check that you haved presented all the luns that you want to backup;

2- Check if the auto assignement of drive letter on vcb proxy is disabled

3- Check if you have sufficent space for your backup

4- Check that your installation of vcb is ok

Next try to use the following script:

For do this, first create the dir c:\mnt\vm;

then go on start>run> cmd

change the path from c:>\documents and settings\user

in the path c:>\program files\vmware\vmware consolidated backup\

here past the script after you customized him.

This is the example script:

vcbmounter -h VirtualCenterName -u Backup(your_user defined in esx) -p password(your_password) -a ipaddr:(IPADDRESS OF THE VM YOU WANT TO BACKUP) -r c:\mnt\vm (mnt is the default folder that vcb creates during installation and where it copies the spammed backup) -t fullvm -m san

NOTE: If you don't have a Virtual Center installed you can point directly to the esx host.

If all is ok you'll found in the c:\mnt\vm of your backup proxy all the files of your backupped VM. From here, if you want that netwotker 7.3.2build399 run correctly, disable monitoring of the group virtualmachine.

Good Luck

See you

0 Kudos
andy74_GZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, i have check all points is ok in my system. If the backup run, create the VCB the backup from the VM in the follow foulder (d:\mnt) the networker don't backup the VM files he delete this. I have disable the monitor view is the sam error. Many Thanks

0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor

did you have setup the networker client correctly? I think that is misconfigured..

My networker client configuration is:

name of client NETWORKER: "vcbbackupserver.mydomain"

in the save set:

VM:IPADDRESS:\*FULL*

in "backup command": "save_vcb.bat"

in the group:

The group that I've created for this type of backup and named:Virtualmachines

in the groups Virtualmachines configuration:

tab "advanced" --> field "options" select "no monitor"

PS. if you should want to backup a simple directory in a path of your vcbproxy, does legato work correctly?

Did you checked the script that I posted? Did it work correctly?

0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor

I have missed to say you another important thing:

In the settings of the VM, that you want to backup, check that in the configuration of the disk(s) there is not flagged[/b] "independent"; only in this case you can make snapshots of disks leaving powered on the vm.

If still don't work I think that you must reinstall the vcbbackupproxy and the legato networker server.

In my farm y've:

6 hosts running esx 3.0.1

1 hosts running windows2003EntR2 with istalled virtuacenter

1 host running windows2003StandardEd with installed VCB framework 1.0 and networker legato 7.3.2buid399 plugged to a FC library HP MLS6000.

The host with legato netwoker and vcb framework, is presented to all storage group that containigs the VMs that I want to backup.

My SAN is an EMC2 clariionCX500 the fc switches are EMC2 Brocade.

For the istallation I've followed the documentation provided with the vcb framework (it is an html doc).

Good luck.

Sorry for my bad english..

0 Kudos
andy74_GZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i have set "no monitor" without success.

My config is:

1 esx cluster

1 w2003st SP2 virtualcenter and VCB Framework with Networker 7.3.2 client

the host is the same config as you. Only my Networker Server have the 7.3.3 version and i have on ADIC i2k all is in SAN.

THX Andy

0 Kudos
jstiffler
Contributor
Contributor

Can you send me a link to the installation document you are refering to?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor

I missed the link I send you the files.

good work

0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor

I send also the documentation specific for the legato networker integration module.

0 Kudos
DPO01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andy,

We're experiencing exactly the same symptoms as you only on NetWorker 7.4....

Found any solution to the problem yet?

Thanks

DPO01

See details below:

# savegrp -vvvv -I -l full VMtest

32451:savegrp: cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL level=full

7236:savegrp: Group will not limit job parallelism

32493:savegrp: cutvcb.cut.ac.za:probe started

savefs -s sbackup.cut.ac.za -c cutvcb.cut.ac.za -g VMtest -p -o VSS:=off -l full -R -v -F VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL*

cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL level=full, dn=0, mx=1, vers=pools, p=4

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:Probe savefs cutvcb.cut.ac.za: succeeded.

7340:savegrp: cutvcb.cut.ac.za:probe succeeded.

32494:savegrp: cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL started

save_vcb.bat -s sbackup.cut.ac.za -g VMtest -LL -m cutvcb.cut.ac.za -o VSS:=off -l full -W 78 -N VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL* VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL

40473:savegrp: command ' save_vcb.bat -s sbackup.cut.ac.za -g VMtest -LL -m cutvcb.cut.ac.za -o VSS:=off -l full -W 78 -N VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL* VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL' for client cutvcb.cut.ac.za exited with return code -1.

32496:savegrp: job (19941) host: cutvcb.cut.ac.za savepoint: VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL had ERROR indication(s) at completion.

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL Current working directory: C:\

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 2 numThreadsPerCore 1.

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL HOSTINFO: This machine has 2 physical CPUS, 4 total cores, and 4 logical CPUs.

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL Using system libcrypto, version 90703F

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL Unsetting unknown path: /vmomi/

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL Converting "D:\mnt\management.cut.ac.za-fullVM\scsi0-0-0-Management.vmdk" (compact file):

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL 0%=====================50%=====================100%

• cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL **************************************************

7341:savegrp: cutvcb.cut.ac.za:VM:management.cut.ac.za:FULL failed.

7241:savegrp: nsrim run recently, skipping

#

0 Kudos