VMware Cloud Community
cpremoe
Contributor
Contributor

Warning: Conflict between read-only and non-read-only modes

In /var/log/vmkwarning I'm getting the following message every time a snapshot is taken. Any ideas of how I should persue this?

Oct 28 09:44:46 HCAS303 vmkernel: 22:20:31:10.965 cpu1:1055)WARNING: Fil3: 3477: Conflict between read-only and non-read-only modes

Thanks

Chad

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lbenton
Contributor
Contributor

I've been getting that error as well since a recent update by the backup vendor I use. I've submitted a ticket to them and VMWare to see what exactly should be done. I can post again when I hear back. I'm not seeing that it's causing any host or vm problems though so not sure how serious of an error it is.

0 Kudos
cpremoe
Contributor
Contributor

Ya, I started seeing the warnings when I updated esXpress to v.3.6-8. Is that the backup software you're using?

0 Kudos
lbenton
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. I sent them a support file this morning as well.

I marked the ticket I opened with VMWare as Sev 4 since it doesn't seem to be causing a problem so I doubt I'll hear back from them until Monday.

chris
Contributor
Contributor

I am also seeing the message using esXpress 3.6-8. I'll submit a ticket to PHD in the morning. It isn't breaking anything that I can tell.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We have gotten some good information on this from lbenton who has opened a ticket with Vmware. We are also going to check with with Vmware through our channels on it.

The basic update so far from VMware ( from lbenton ) is this.

There is an internal KB on this and they have seen it with backup products in snapshot processing. It is not believe to be harmful unless the snapshots are not being clean up which from what we saw is not the case. The thinking is it be caused when two many snapshot calls are occurring at the same time. The error relates to a lock a file needed for snapshots.

Any other updates I will post back.

Pete@esXpres

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos