VMware Cloud Community
andreas_weber
Contributor
Contributor

Wake-on-LAN not supported by DL380G5?

Hi there.

I'm in trouble getting the DPM feature to run.

We got two VI3.5 Server on HP DL380G5 machines (Supported). Network Card is a Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 with two Gig-E Interfaces.

Network Adapter Configuration Tab shows that Wake-On-Lan is not supported. But WOL is enabled in Bios setting of the NIC.

VC 2.5 Server is running as a virtual Machine (W2K3 R2 Standard) inside one of those Servers.

Someone got a hint for me where to look for a solution? Couldn't find any useful Information in the Manuals. Smiley Sad

Thanks

Andi

0 Kudos
8 Replies
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You enabled WOL in the mainboard bios as well?

here an output of my adapters. BCM 5721.

0 Kudos
andreas_weber
Contributor
Contributor

Yes System BIOS WOL and Broadcom NetXtreme Bios are both set to enable WOL.

Just upgraded the Servers Firmware via HP FW-cd. No changes there.

0 Kudos
wavebender
Contributor
Contributor

We are also having issues with this - but maybe not as fundamental as the ones described here. We have VirtualCenter 2.5 build 64192 and ESX 3i Installable. We built a 2 node cluster with VC. We can put an ESX host into Standby mode just fine(manually), but when we attempt to "Power ON" nothing ever happens. Using MS Netmon v2.0 on the VC, we never see a Wake-on-LAN packet being sent. In the VC "Recent Tasks" Window the "Exit Standby Mode" task will progress to 17% and just sit there. It will tme out after around 8-10 minutes.

I should note we have cisco switches between the VC and the ESX host and they are on different VLANs. We have done all the cisco suggested configurations as far as IP directed-broadcast and IP UDP forwarding. We know the UDP forwarding works because we can use a Wake-on LAN utility, install it on the VC machine, send a WoL to the ESX 3i host, and it powers on immediately. These WoL packets also show up on Netmon.

NB: When I say we do not see WoL packets from the VC - a Netmon filter for the all hex FF pattern at offset 42(decimal) or a filter for directed broadcast never shows anything. When using a WoL utility, the packets do appear - using the same filter.

Here is the real puzzler: We put a machine into standby and it powers down. We use the VC to power it on, and as noted, it progresses to 17% and just sits there. We use the WoL utility to send the packet to the ESX 3i host. And the progress bar then increments to 100%!

So, it appears that VC is never sending the requisite WoL packet. Are we missing something in our configuration? What criteria does VC use to decide whether to send a WoL frame?

BTW: under the ESX host network configuration, all VNICs show WoL=yes

0 Kudos
djdeceit
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing this issue with our integrated nics on our HP BL465c Blades. However the 2 nics on the additional mez cards are being detected by ESX as having the WOL capability.

Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5706 1000Bases-SX = No WOL in ESX, WOL Support on manufactures spces

Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Bases-SX = Yes WOL in ESX, WOL Support on manufactures spces

Wol is enabled in the bios, the manufactures website (broadcom) indicates that the capability is on all devices within the hosts, yet ESX still does not support it.

Latest firmware.

Anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
tbrown
Contributor
Contributor

Quoting wavebender "So, it appears that VC is never sending the requisite WoL packet. Are we missing something in our configuration? What criteria does VC use to decide whether to send a WoL frame?"

I'm not sure if its VC that sends the "magic" packet I think VC is supposed to trigger another ESX server in the same DRS cluster to send the magic packet because its assumed that those servers in the same DRS cluster are on the same LAN segment.

But as with everyone else here I tried running DPM on HP BL460c and they power down but not back up and freezing at 17% until it times out. I also tried DPM on my Dell 1950and get WOL not supported on this system.

0 Kudos
sparky84232
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found anything else about running DPM with HP BL460c and the fact they power down but not back up and freezing at 17% until it times out. i just purchased a c7000 and 12 BL460's and would love to run DPM in our enviroment :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
sparky84232
Contributor
Contributor

Well I finally figured out why my BL460c won't respond to the WOL packet from virtual center......here is the rundown.

I installed a WOL utility on my virtual center server and when I use the utility to get the MAC by IP

Name: esx03

IP address: 172.16.7.63

Ethernet MAC address: 00:50:56:44:21:B6

Now this is a BL460c running in an HP c7000 chassis with a midplane that connects the server to an internal cisco 3020 switch.

When I connect to the Onboard administrator for the c7000 I discover that the Real MAC for the NIC of the service console is different. 00:1e:0b:d9:53:34

So my virtual center thinks that the MAC for esx03 is 00:50:56:44:21:B6 but infact this is the MAC of the Port on my cisco 3020

Show Mac on the cisco 3020

7 0050.5644.21b6 DYNAMIC Gi0/3...Dang

So long story short Virtual center is sending the WOL to the wrong MAC.....HELP me HP and CISCO!!!

0 Kudos
JoshT76
Contributor
Contributor

Just a thought, but the onboard Broadcom NICs do not support 1Gb in stand by mode, only 10Mb and 100Mb.

I had issues with WoL for the DL380G5 and DL360G5 because we had configured the speed and duplex on the switch for 1000/full, so when in stand by mode the NIC needed 10/100, it wouldn't work.

We reverted to all auto-negotiate and after 1 minute after issuing the power on command we got green power lights! Smiley Happy

Good luck!

0 Kudos