VMware Cloud Community
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

WOL in vmware

Hi all

is there an option to enable Wake on LAN in virtual machines. If it can be done could any one help me with the steps.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Cant you just script this with Virtual Center?

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

sorry daniel,

I'm not sure how to script it with virtual centre. Could you explain it more

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

I think it is enabled by default. If you go into edit settings on the VM, go to the options tab and check the power management setting.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

WOL isn't as simple as you think. WOL requires a certain protocol be enabled, because if the NIC were truly WOL it would "wake up" everytime there was activity on the network.

WOL determines a NIC is capable of "waking up" and sends it signal specifically on a particular protocol and a certain "byte" message. So when the NIC sees this traffic, and it interprets the WOL signal correctly then it will wake the NIC.

There are only certain WOL programs that can run, and you have to give certain data up front (like NIC MAC or hardware address) for it to work properly.

It's basically a real pain in the ass. We tried it, it's not worth our time, but feel free to give any feedback.

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

I have enabled WOL in a VM, the issue it automatically wakes up from stand by mode (i suppose it might be due to the traffic in the VM network).

the MAC address would be 00-0c-29-4e-de-00

will this do

0 Kudos