VMware Cloud Community
emavmware
Contributor
Contributor

Volumes not present after rescan of HBAs

Hello,

I have a cluster with 5 ESX 3.5 connected to a SAN. Today I had a problem with the storage (IBM DS4700) when the disks went to disfunction. After recovering the storage, the volume containing the OS of all my virtual machines is no longer visible.

I have been checking this:

• From the ESX with a #cat /proc/partitions , I can find the disk; but with #vdf -h, I don't see the volume

• From VI Client in: configurationstorage adapter, I can find the disk in both HBAs, but in Configuration--storage, I don't see the volume

I have tried rescaning HBAs from command line and from VI client, I have removed mapping from storage and assigning it again, I removed the node from storage and re-creating, I checked LUN ID, I checked the SAN switch.

Does anyone have any idea?:(

0 Kudos
5 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you checked the cables? Has the zoning or masking changed? Have you changed the HBAs and not re-done the zoning?

-

Mark Atherton

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
emavmware
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Mark, I've checked all that, we didn't make any change, but still, we checked.

What makes me nervous is that I can see the disk and partitions in the operating system, but cannot see the volume, so I don't think the problem is in the hardware.

How can I confirm if I lost all the data this volume was containing?

An array in "degraded" state can make my data corrupt or lost?

Eloisa

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Do you have Auto-volume transfer mode enabled on your DS?

It looks like ESX thinks its a duplicate path, and if that's the case, ESX will not display the VMFS datastore.

do you see any entries in the /var/log/vmkernel.

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
0 Kudos
emavmware
Contributor
Contributor

no, I don't have AVT enabled.

In vmkernel I have thousands of messages like the one attached

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you attempted to set EnableResignature=1 in advanced settings/LVM?

If all your hosts can still see the LUNS but not the VMFS volume setting EnableResignature may allow your hosts to see the Datastore. If that does not bring viability to your VMFS datastore calling VMWARE might not be a bad idea.