VMware Cloud Community
EllettIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Volume Question(s) on EQL PS400E

I currently have 3 ESX Host connected to my EQL PS400E SAN and all is running well. However I'm wondering if I setup my volumes correctly. I initially configured a volume (about 400 GB's each) for each server so 3 volumes total. Looking back I'm wondering if I shouldn't have made 1 volume for all three hosts to simplfy HA, Vmotion etc. I've also been told that we may be bringing our webservers in house (2 Web App and 1 SQL servers) and if so would performance be better if I had less volumes? So maybe 1 Volume for the web stuff including SQL and 1 volume for everything else? If we bring these servers in house I'll have about 20 VM's total. The PS 400E is running in RAID 50 (would have done 10 when I set it up if I had know this was going to be a possibility). So what are your thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EllettIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bueller? Bueller?

Tap* Tap* Is this thing on?

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
matuscak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got a PS400 and a 3800XV and I'm using one volume per production VM and a large shared volume for template and test systems. We figured this isolated the machines so that things like Equallogic snapshots affect a single machine. I've not seen any performance issues with this at all.

EllettIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't thought about it from that angle but it would be nice to isolate the SAN snapshots to each VM, something to think about. I'm going to stay with what I've got currently after reading these posts:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/963897

It seems like multiple volumes is the way to go to deal with contention and SCSI reservation issues. Thanks though!

0 Kudos