Mase444
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware Workstation with ESX3.5u4 - Problems with VMs within ESX3.5u4

Hi everyone,

I really need a consult on this one:

I am trying to test ESX3.5.

As I don't want to buy any hardware for now I thought it would be a good idea to test ESX3.5 within Workstation.

I used this template to install ESX3.5 within Workstation: http://xtravirt.com/node/100

ESX3.5 works perfektly within Workstation.

The only problem is that if I create a VM within the ESX3.5 the VM runs very very slow.

I searched the VMware Forum for this problem and found that you need Intel VT enabled to speed things up.

But I think my "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz, 2000 MHz" should have Intel VT.

Does anyone have any ideas why my VMs on the esx3.5 within workstation runs slow?

I thank you all in advance for the help!

Used Hardware:

Asus P5B

Intel Quad Core Q9300

3 GB RAM

Intel PRO/100 S-Serveradapter Ethernet

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

According to your log file, the outer VM is using VT-x. I'm afraid that's as fast as your nested VMs are going to get. While I would characterize nested VM performance as slow or even very slow, I'm not sure I would go so far as "very very slow." Perhaps it's all a matter of perception.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure that the configuration file for the outer (ESX) VM has:

monitor.virtual_exec = hardware
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE

If, for some reason, Workstation cannot make use of VT-x on your platform, you should get a pop-up dialog box explaining why.

Mase444
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi jmattson,

Thank you for your post.

I'm afraid that didn't help with the Problem.

I attached my config-file.

Could the problem be caused because of the slower networkspeed?

I use 100mbit and not 1gbit

I assumed that 100mbit would be enough speed to transmit a live video stream of the vm.

But if it isn't enough, then the vm would appear to be slow due to the low bandwith of the video stream

Message was edited by: Mase444

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you post the vmware.log file for the outer (ESX) VM?

0 Kudos
Mase444
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the Logfile

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

According to your log file, the outer VM is using VT-x. I'm afraid that's as fast as your nested VMs are going to get. While I would characterize nested VM performance as slow or even very slow, I'm not sure I would go so far as "very very slow." Perhaps it's all a matter of perception.

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

"As I don't want to buy any hardware for now I thought it would be a good idea to test ESX3.5 within Workstation"

Your test is fatally flawed, you cannot evaluate speed of a virtual machine through this sort of nested virtualization.

0 Kudos
Mase444
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi dominic7,

I'm trying to test several esx functions (for example storeing VMs on iSCSI SANs, High Availability,...).

I am not trying to test the speed as that would not bring realistic results.

0 Kudos
Mase444
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your advice.

For example, if I put in the ESXi disc (just for comparison, NOT to acutally install) it takes about 60 seconds to fully load the blue start dialog.

With a speed like that it is impossible the install a OS.

As the VT-x is working properly and you say the config-file has all the necessary settings I can only presume the problem is something else.

So thanks for your help. I will try to get a new hard-disc and install esx directly and not via workstation.

0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SSH to your esx and type top > press enter

you should see the processes and their resource usage....

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos