VMware Cloud Community
ecleppe
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Update Manager not getting the latest available patches.

Hello,

According to the vmware website a lot of new patches have been released for ESX 3.5, but Vmware update manager isn't updating.

The latest patches I have are from 04/15/2008 .

I have plenty of diskspace, update download is scheduled alright and is working ,but no updates are being downloaded.

Anyone seen this issue?

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos
14 Replies
shamim-a
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did u check in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate\esx\esx-3.5.0

Shamim

0 Kudos
ecleppe
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it only had a LOG folder. The updates are being download to c:\repository.

But no newer than mid april...

Erik

0 Kudos
shamim-a
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check the log and confirm that Scheduled task has run on the configured time.

There should be entries starting with those dates...

Shamim

0 Kudos
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can I resurrect this one, did you solve the problem Erik?

I'm curious as it looks like I've got the same issue...

Cheers,

merse

0 Kudos
ecleppe
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you may. This issue hasn't been solved. I didn't get any usefull responses on my question.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Cotay
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same issue. Over the last few rounds of patches, update manager downloaded the evening before they patches were released on the website. The last round (6/3/08), we finally received the download packages about a week late. We opened a ticket with VMware, but nothing had changed and the problem seemed to fix iteself.

0 Kudos
mtellin
Contributor
Contributor

This is the same issue that I am having - the last 2 times the updates show up about a week later. Unfortunately ours has not fixed itself yet.

0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem as well, althought it wasn't the inital problem. When this started, Update Manger was just timing out while trying to install updates. After a support call to VMware, the tech determined that my patch library (in the esx-3.5.0 folder) was pulling down ESX350-Update02 (this was the bad updated) as well as the replacement update (ESX350-Update-02) and felt that might be an issue. We deleted the contents of the patch folder, but it still pulled down the bad update. So we then ran a repair install of Update Manager and when prompted, re-initialized the database. Then we deleted the contents of the folder again and then had it download updates. That cleared up the bad patch problem, but now we can't get any updates past November for 3.5. Oddly, the 3.0.3 folder has it's December updates.

Other than a few ODBC account setting changes, we haven't been able to fix this. I'm on hold with support now. If I get an answer that works, I'll post it.

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone have news on this, I have the same issue on several costumer sites.

0 Kudos
AlexNG_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've installed VC 2.5 U3 last week, and UM got all updates. Maybe the solution is what BDorroh says, reinstall and reset UM database.....

Alex.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" / "helpful".
0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out the problem with Update Manager timing out was caused by a slow connection to the remote site. That remote site has a 1MB MPLS connection back to our main location. I guess it just isn't big enough to handle the combined size of the updates. I had to bring up a VM local to that site, install Virtual Center and Update Manager, and then let it pull down the updates. Once that was done, deploying the updates went off without a problem. VMWare confirmed that Update Manager is designed for high-speed networks.

0 Kudos
rlubos
Contributor
Contributor

Mnemonic seems to have the same problem as discussed in http://communities.vmware.com/thread/192209 !!

Reinhard

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My problem is fixed.

I Ran the Update Schedule task 9 times in a row, and then on the 9th time it got the updates, so I guess it must be the update server beeing too busy to process alle the connections.

I have now corrected my schedule to update everyday instead of only once a week.

/Mnemonic

0 Kudos
MarcBouchard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In our lab environment, we hadn't received any updates since late october. I thought nothing of it, but today I just manually checked and I saw quite a few we didn't get. So after checking the logs, I saw it kept download the 10-27-2008 file. No idea why. The log folder was filled with junk, so I deleted everything I could and reran the update task. This time, instead of the usual 5 seconds signature update task, it took much longer as it downloaded a new file.

This is what I got from the logs:

Before, all I was getting was:

Nice to see it's arrived in 2009, although 2 months late Smiley Happy

Marc

0 Kudos