VMware Cloud Community
Adam_Harrison
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Newbie needs help mounting NFS share on VMware ESX server

I'm trying to mount an NFS share via VMware ESX. Basically, I have a share that is full of IOS images of various OSes and I want to be able to access these in order to setup virtual machines on my ESX server. I have tried vicfg-nas.pl --server (ip address of VMWare server) and I get prompted for the username and password for the VMWare server which I enter in. Then I get a screen with various VMware command line options and nothing occurs with the server. If I put in vicfg-nas.pl --server (ip address of VMWare server) -l I get prompted for the username and password and then after I enter them, nothing happens. The machine is behind a firewall but I have checked the firewall and it is not blocking traffic on the ports that VMWare uses.

Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven1973
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why don't you use the VI client. Go to the TAB "Configuration" and select "Storage". Next click on add storage and select "Network File System".

Enter the required fields and it should work.

- Steven -

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to VI:ESX 3.5 forum.

0 Kudos
Adam_Harrison
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but when I try to do that, I get an error message: Error during the configuration of the host: Cannot open volume: /vmfs/volumes/8661b809-5d3db9bd. If it helps any, the share is on a netapp.

0 Kudos