VMware Cloud Community
rimvydukas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware ESX and Update manager - question No.2

Hi,

I have Virtual Center 2.5 and Vmware update manager installed on virtual machine which runs on ESX server. I configured Update manager to download updates for ESX. My question would be - is it possible to update ESX server using such an configuration? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes i thing you do and that is also whenb you get all the other cool features DRS, HA ...

So that was a correct answer ... ? points points... Smiley Wink

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes ... it is possible as long as the guest server running the Update manager is not running on the ESX host you are updating. The host is set to maintenance mode when

you start the remediation of the server.

In a DRS cluster it will work just fine because the guest will just migrate away before updating the host...

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You gotta love the word "Remediate" Smiley Wink

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
rimvydukas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But if Update Manager runs on VM which runs on ESX I want to update and if there is only one ESX without any DRS?:)

Is answer NO?

And what exactly does happen when ESX is put in maintenance mode?

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You are just right !

This is because the server goes in to Maintenance mode and in maitenance mode NO virtual machine can run....

So you can one put a server in maintenance mode when all guests is shut down. Try it out and you will get the popup info Smiley Wink

/Lars

rimvydukas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Lars:)

As I can see I need to bring up second ESX server:) Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes i thing you do and that is also whenb you get all the other cool features DRS, HA ...

So that was a correct answer ... ? points points... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
rimvydukas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, ok, as you wish:)

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thx alot Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you only have one ESX host you could take a look at VMTS patch manager

http://www.vmts.net/VMTSPatchManager.htm

You can install it on your local PC and use that to update your ESX host.

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos