VMware Cloud Community
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware ESX 3.5 License

I am currently running Vmware ESX 3.x Enterprise fully supported. Does anyone know if this entitles me to upgrade for free to 3.5. Or do I need to buy a new license?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can upgrade for free as long as you have valid support, see the note at the bottom of this page...

http://vmware.com/products/vi/packaging.html

Note: Customers with valid SnS or SlS contracts will receive the new functionality included in this updated packaging at no additional cost. For example, if you purchased VMware Infrastructure 3 Enterprise, and you have a current Support and Subscription contract, you will receive VMware Storage VMotion and VMware Update Manager at no additional cost.

Eric Siebert

VMware Communities User Moderator

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are entitled to upgrade for free.

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can upgrade for free as long as you have valid support, see the note at the bottom of this page...

http://vmware.com/products/vi/packaging.html

Note: Customers with valid SnS or SlS contracts will receive the new functionality included in this updated packaging at no additional cost. For example, if you purchased VMware Infrastructure 3 Enterprise, and you have a current Support and Subscription contract, you will receive VMware Storage VMotion and VMware Update Manager at no additional cost.

Eric Siebert

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
praby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When will we get the upgraded licence keys - I've tried using my ESX 3.0 keys and they don't enable the new functionality (such as SMP) in 3.5? I suspect I need new keys but don't know how to get hold of them. Is there going to be an automatic email and if so, any idea as to when?

Paul

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

3.5 doesn't require a new license, your existing 3.x licenses will work. vSMP is not new functionality, it is a licensed feature that is included with Enterprise. What other functionality are you missing? Update Manager is a separately installed add-in and Storage vMotion must be downloaded separately.

Migrations using Storage VMotion must be administered through the Remote Command Line Interface (Remote CLI), which is available for download http://www.vmware.com/download/download.do?downloadGroup=VI-RCLI

Eric Siebert

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
praby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 includes SMP across all editions as standard. I had an evaluation for 3.0, which included SMP. Then I changed to my real license, which does not include SMP. Finally I have upgraded the management centre and ESX to 3.5, using the existing 3.0 licenses, and still do not have SMP. Looking at the license key itself it does not include SMP, which the evaluation license did. So I assume I need new licenses for 3.5 that enables SMP for foundation, as per http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/buy.html. Currently I cannot add the ESX server into the management centre because of license problems.

Paul

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Go to the below page and click the Manage Product Licenses link and see if there is a new license available...

Vmware licensing page - http://www.vmware.com/download/licensing.html

Eric Siebert

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
praby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There isn't - I've just had confirmation that I will have to wait until the end of the week before I get an email allowing me to upgrade Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Rob_Convery
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Am I right in thinking that if you have a valid ESX3 license i.e. "VI3 Starter Edition" but do not have a valid support contract (because you never needed one due to having all the skills locally you are then not entitled to an upgrade to 3.5?

In that scenario how do you upgrade - Just buy another full license? purchase a 1 year support contract? (can't see any costs of this)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My enterprise licence seemed not to require upgrade, plus I get plugin functionality (convertor and update manager) keen to know how i can get capacity planner plugin as I am trainied for this product, any ideas

0 Kudos
praby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the support contract - I've been told by sales that the license will not be upgraded until the end of the week. I just have to wait.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Capacity Planner install is included in the VC 2.5 zip file...

Eric Siebert

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
sampathdw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to test esx 3 or 3.5. Could any one provide me the license key please. As I am still studing It will help to get practise with new versions.

Many thanks

0 Kudos