VMware Cloud Community
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion on different vendor storage

hi we are using esx 3.5 update 2 as host server for virtualization and using two 500 gb lun from EMC .HA ,vmotion drs is worjking fine. now we are planning to increase number of virtual machines on ex host .please tell me if i use different vendor storage i.e IBM or HP or any NFS can do we able to get the facility of HA,DRS,VMOTION on differnt vendor Storage.

TWO 500GB LUn from emc and 1 tb lun from HP or IBM

two 500 GB lun from EMS and one 1 tb lun from any nfs

Ravi
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Hi

Vmotion does not move Virtual Machine data. It only copies the memory.

But multiple ESX hosts needs to access the same file while vmotioning.

So VMFS is the wunderkind here.

The logical volume manager (LVM) acts as a interface to the storage resources and makes the specification of the utilized hardware transparant for Virtualcenter services such as Vmotion/DRS.

VMFS acts as a cluster file system and allows multiple ESX servers to access the same files.

The VMFS layer is important for the (storage) vmotion process, not the underlying hardware.

You mentioned multiple sizes, did you configure the datastores with the same blocksize.

But I cannot think of any problems arising from using different blocksizes.

Here are the VirtualCenter VMotion Requirements

If you found this information helpful, please consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful". Thanks!

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

is that means that i can use mutiple vendor storage(+ nfs) as datastore (vmfs formatted same or different block size )on same cluster suppots vmotion

please reply.

Ravi
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, as long as both ESX Servers see the storage from both SAN or NAS devices then you can vmotion, use DRS and HA the virtual machines stored on those storage devices -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

It's not an issue. I have 3 different vendors and multiple arrays per vendor going to my ESX cluster(s).

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply.

Ravi
0 Kudos