VMware Cloud Community
Raghukalloor
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion not happening manually

Hi,

I have 3 ESX Hosts. All 3 ESX hosts are with ESX3.5 version. Yesterday ESX01(1st host) Host is upgraded with Update 4 and with latest patches where as other 2 ESX hosts remain same. Now I want to Manually migrate the VM from ESX03 (3rd host) to ESX01 (1st host). when i tried doing it it failed and gave error as "operation timed out". From ESX03 (3rd host) to ESX02(2nd host) we are able to migrate the VM manually without any issue.

Can anyone suggest ?

thanks

Raghu

0 Kudos
10 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

From esx01, can you vmkping the other hosts?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

i've seen this happen too in some of my upgrades. Sometimes, like KjB said, a simple vmkping to the vmkernel ip of the destination host will "wake up" the interface.

0 Kudos
Raghukalloor
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I am unable to vmkping to other hosts from ESX01. where as vmkping is working from ESX02 to ESX03. Giving error as " getaddrinfo() for "esx03-usus" failed (Resource temporarily unavailable)"

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Verify that VMotion interface if properly configured on ESX1.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure that vmkernel interface is up. Looks like the address can't be retrieved. Are you trying to vmkping to the IP address, or the hostname for esx03? Make sure DNS is working correctly also.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
Raghukalloor
Contributor
Contributor

I checked the VMotion interface is properly configured on ESX1 and able to ping the ping the Vmotion ipaddress from all the 3 ESX hosts. what about the Vmkping concept. If it is not pinging any troubleshooting part?

DNS is configured properly and we are able to ping the host name too. Could you let me know whts more i need to check ?

thanks

Raghu

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

here is a good KB, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003734 , that outlines a bunch of troubleshooting steps.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Ping exercises the service console interface. vmkping exercises the vmkernel interface. That's the difference. If you can't vmkping the other vmkernel interface, then traffic from the vmkernel interface is not making it out or to the other hosts' vmkernel interfaces.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Assuming you have everything else set up right, disable and enable VMotion on your VMotion port group and then try again. I've seen this work a number of times.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Have you verified that all storage is accesible and mapped to all hosts and that your port groups and Storage are mapped using the same name / method (ie - all storage is mapped using either IP address, OR Hostname - consistently accross all hosts)

Also, do you have VMSwap enabled on all hosts?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos