VMware Cloud Community
dap
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion issue after upgrading a host to 3.5

I have run into an issue with vmotion after upgrading a host to 3.5. I upgraded one of my esx servers in a HA DRS cluster. There are a total of three hosts in the cluster. The other two are 3.0.2. When I attempt to perfrom a live migration to the 3.5 host I receive an operation timed out error. I can migrate between the two 3.0.2 hosts. Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi dap..

First check your vSwitch settings regarding the VMKernel portgroup to verify IP settings etc. You can do vmkping from the 3.5 COS to verify connectivity..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor

The vswitch looks good. I can vmkping the vmotion address.

0 Kudos
lmonaco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What version of VC are you running?

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor

Version 2.5.0 Build 84767

0 Kudos
Richard_Claus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i had same issue and i had not configured a second console connection on vswitch...i believe 2.5 vcenter added the requirement to have 2 console connections.

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor

Here is my console and vmotion configuration info:

I have a vswitch with two port groups and nic teaming

1. console port group with nic 0 as the primary and nic 3 as the failover

2. vmotion port group with nic 3 as the primary and nic 0 as the failover

0 Kudos
Richard_Claus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

on my cluster i have 4 vswitches per esx host

sw1 console (primary)

sw2 vmnetwork and second console (secondary)

sw3 vmotion

sw4 vmnetwork

you need to have 2 console connections now instead of 1 both console connections will need to have ip address setup

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I know this is a stupid suggestion.. but have you checked that the 3.5 host has pulled a valid VMotion license... ?

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've seen this happen a lot. Usually what I have to do is disable the vSwitch settings for the vmotion port and then re-enable it. It sounds silly and simple, but it has always worked with me and on the phone with VMWare.

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor

License is good and I tried recreating the port group. I have opened a service request with vmware. I will post the results. Thanks for the posts!

0 Kudos