VMware Cloud Community
ralphh936
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmotion fails - vmkping doesn't work but ping does

I had vmotion fail on vm client (with current vmtools) trying to vmotion with disks (15gb) from one ESX 3.5 up3 host to another ESX 3.5 up3 host...(both same build)....

failed with error: 'failed to connect to host'

1002662, 1005892

so I check the KB and followed the documents there and made some typical host file changes with both hosts list in each others hosts file amoung the items changed.

but no change...still get an error..

I don't know if this typical but I can ping but not vmkping from one or the other host....

what is the signifcance of ping working and vmkping not working (no host route found)?...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Rpaker are you saying dropping or removing the vmotion vswitch then readding it?

Bingo! yes that's what I am saying. Sometimes I get these strange errors, and removing / readding will fix it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Remove the offending vmkernel port (after gracefully dropping NFS / iSCSI) and then do service mgmt-vmware restart.

Then re-add the vmkernel ports (and check the enable vmotion) and see if that works.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ping will utilize the service console port while vmkping will use the vmkernel port - When you say you can not vmkping are you attempting to ping the vmotion enabled vmkernel interface? If you can not vmkping that vmkernel port you will not be able to vmotion -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ralphh936
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rpaker are you saying dropping or removing the vmotion vswitch then readding it?

-

-

Sorry, I get the same error 'no route to host' when I vmkping the static ip or fqdn or short dns name....

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Bingo! yes that's what I am saying. Sometimes I get these strange errors, and removing / readding will fix it.

0 Kudos