VMware Cloud Community
acuster
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion error - "unable to access the virtual machine configuration: Unable to access File"

During the migration validation I am receiving the following error:

Unable to Migrate from Hostx to Hostz: Unable to access the virtual machine configuration: Unable to access file.

Each host is set up exactly the same

Please Advise

Aaron

0 Kudos
7 Replies
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check the VM log files - in the VM's directory on the server it is registered with.

Check the vmkernel log file for errors.

Check that the Virtual Machine config file (*.vmx) is in the VM directory and what permissions it has assigned to it.

Try vmkping from one host to the other. And then the other way around.

0 Kudos
acuster
Contributor
Contributor

Update.

It was actually a pretty simple fix. Our SAN team did not present the LUNS to each host with the same ID. Once the the IDs were the same, no problems

0 Kudos
BankTech
Contributor
Contributor

So in a test environment I don't have a SAN I have 4 servers each identical with 2 72 gig drives in them. Is this why I can't vmotion with the same error you got? Because they are trying to transfer the vmdk files from one set of drives to another on a different host? Can this be done? Or do I need to create a san segment?

0 Kudos
BankTech
Contributor
Contributor

In addition to what I said earlier the vm I'm trying to move is a Vm of the VC. Don't know if that is also why I can't vmotion. Otherwise it's the same error as the initial poster.

0 Kudos
shunter86
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this issue as well with one VM. I checked all the SAn settings for each LUN across all three of my ESX hosts and they are identical. Any thoughts on what else to look at would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Is this vm on local storage?

BankTech: vMotion requires the LUN the vm is sitting on to be shared (with the same ID) between the hosts. To move the vm's files between unshared datastores you would have to use Storage vMotion

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
shunter86
Contributor
Contributor

All my VMs are on shared SAN storage. I did find out with the issue was though when I attempted to do a storage motion with the VM. It had a Snapshot attached to it still. I do not recall when I created it but once I deleted the Snapshot it migrated without a problem.

0 Kudos