VMware Cloud Community
Hieu_Cao
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion+RDM

Does anyone know if Vmotion will work fine with RDM set as "physical" mode? Also, can VCB be used to backup to backup VM with RDM LUNs? I am having trouble with finding documentation on this topics. Greatly appreciated if you can point me toward the right direction.

ESX 3.5 (build 110268)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

VMware VMotion, VMware DRS, and VMware HA are all supported in both RDM physical and virtual compatibility modes. p.60 SAN System Design and Deployment Guide August 2008

VCB will need the RDM to be in virtual compatibility mode, so that a snapshot can be taken of it.

Message was edited to correct mistakes by: vmroyale

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
formulator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have 3 physical mode RDMs connected to one of our guests and have no problems with Vmotioning that VM.

I do believe that using VCB on an RDM requires virtual mode RDMs.

Hieu_Cao
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks vmroyale for your response. ! According to this VMware document, Vmotion will work with RDM in either physical or virtual mode (page 12). Maybe the document is not up-to-date with the current release...

0 Kudos
Hieu_Cao
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks formulator for your response ! I'll setup a test VM with RDM and try it out.

0 Kudos