VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vitual Machine to Image Files

I'm running ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5. I'm using the Convertere feature built into VC and I want to create image files so I can back them up.

It looks like it only gives me options to move it to another ESX server or convert it to something compatible with Workstation, VMware Server, etc...

What is the best way to save a virtual machine to a file (or files) for later use?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I'm running ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5. I'm using the Convertere feature built into VC and I want to create image files so I can back them up.

It looks like it only gives me options to move it to another ESX server or convert it to something compatible with Workstation, VMware Server, etc...

What is the best way to save a virtual machine to a file (or files) for later use?

Thanks,

Scott

There are 3 types, Version 6, Version 5, and Version 4. 6 is for the VM Ware server 2.0, 5 is for Workstation 6 and VM Server 1.7 and older. 4 is for GSX and much older vmdk files.

You want version 5 (which is the second option for stand alone)

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your response.

I just tried to export it to Workstation 5 and it converted it to a .vmdk and .vmx file, however when I tried to add it back

onto another ESX 3.5 server, it gave me the following error

"Device "Hard Disk 1" has a backing type that is not supported. This is a general limitation of the host".

Any idea how I can convert the original vm to a file that will be able to be added to another ESX 3.5 server?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct - to bring it back into ESX you will need to use converter again and import back in an ESX compatible format - there really isn't an easy way to do what you are looking for without converting back in to the ESX environment - the simplest solution is back up the directory which houses all the files that make up your VM - because even the backup tools like VCB and vRanger you would still need to import the image back into your ESX environment - the only thing that would work is some sort of replicaiton tool either SAN based or something like Double Take -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your response.

How do I convert it back into the ESX environment?

I import it back in with converter, but I keep getting that error.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

When using the converter feature of VC what option did you when selecting the 'exported' VM?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I specified VMware Standalone Virtual Machine, then I tried it with Workstation 6.x and Worstation 5.x. They both gave me the same results when I tried to import them. It would complete the import, but error with that message when I tried to power it on.

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You mentioned that I would need to convert it back into an ESX environment.

How can I do this with Converter? The only options are Workstation 5x, 6x and standalone.

I've tried those and I get errors when I try to power them on.

Is there another way to convert it into the ESX environment?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos