VMware Cloud Community
MickMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

VirtualCenter v2.5 U4 - SQL2005 VCDB Restore to DR server

I have created two servers - both running Win2003 R2 SP2 with SQL2005 SP2 running the same install of VirtualCenter 2.5 U4. Both are fully working VC server one is the live VC and other for DR. The DR server just has a blank SQL DB. The SQL DB names, SQL logins and ODBC exactly the same on both servers.

I've followed the VirtualCenter Database Miantenance doc so so far I've done an online SQL backup of the VCDB on the live server and restored overwritting the SQL DB on the DR server. Reassigned the VCenter user to the VCDB database and copied the SSL certificates across. Although i didn't need to I updated and tested the DSN which tested ok.

The problem being the Virtual Server Service fails to start everytime.

I've re-installed VC and tested DSN, VCDB SQL user access and looked for orphansed users but all looks fine. I've even copied the master db across but still unable to start the service.

The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated with service-specific error 2(0x2)

The virtualcenter log has the following error

crypto failure: error:0407106B:rsa routines:RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_2:block type is not 02

Failed to decrypt password: applying key to encrypted data failed (likely the wrong key)

ODBC error: () -

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

To me that would be a certificate error even though i've copied this across. Am I missing something obvious????

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
timparkinsonShe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just watching this thread.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

How are your SQL and VC services setup. To use Local Service? Also are you using SQL authentication or Windows authentication for SQL accounts?

Mike

0 Kudos
MickMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried both ways with SQL service - local system and setup local user with administrator rights. The VC service is just default local system. SQL logins are all SQL authentication.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried exporting/ importing registry entries from live VC to DR VC? (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Vmware bla bla..\)

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
MickMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

importing the registry makes no difference

0 Kudos