VMware Cloud Community
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual machine has 2 virtual CPUs, but the host software only supports 1!!

I built a new Server with VC2 today and 2 new ESX servers running ESX3, all the licensing is working correctly.

I then added 2 ESX 2.5.3 servers and cold migrated a VM to VI3, i then followed the upgrade guide and did the "virtual hardware upgrade" however when i try to power it on i get "Virtual machine has 2 virtual CPUs, but the host software only supports 1" so i set the VM to have 1 vCPU and it powered on, i successfully upgraded the VMware tools and rebooted, the VM was then powered off and i switched it to 2 vCPUs tried powering it on and get the same message again.

I then tried recreating a new VM using the same vmdk file, however i still get the same error!!! Smiley Sad

anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
64 Replies
mfaiss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same Problem, and was able to solve it in the same way.

0 Kudos
IVOXY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone definitively determined that this is or is not fixed in 3.5/2.5? I have a customer that is running both 3.0.2/2.0.2 and 3.5/2.5 versions. We have not seen this horrible behavior in the latest but my customer would like some closure to this issue. Thx

0 Kudos
wfvmware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Eliot,

Your post solved my problem. Thought I would let others know.

0 Kudos
awinkel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that this issue isn't solved in ESX 3.5 update1 and VC2.5 update1.

I got this error just 5 minuten ago and this topic helps me to get it work.

0 Kudos
iamshivaji
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also have the same problem.

I have changed the ESX server edition License type from ESX server Standard to Unlicensed.

and again changed from Unlicensed to ESX server edition.

later i did not face that problem again.

Below Screen shots will help you understand better.

0 Kudos