VMware Cloud Community
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual machine has 2 virtual CPUs, but the host software only supports 1!!

I built a new Server with VC2 today and 2 new ESX servers running ESX3, all the licensing is working correctly.

I then added 2 ESX 2.5.3 servers and cold migrated a VM to VI3, i then followed the upgrade guide and did the "virtual hardware upgrade" however when i try to power it on i get "Virtual machine has 2 virtual CPUs, but the host software only supports 1" so i set the VM to have 1 vCPU and it powered on, i successfully upgraded the VMware tools and rebooted, the VM was then powered off and i switched it to 2 vCPUs tried powering it on and get the same message again.

I then tried recreating a new VM using the same vmdk file, however i still get the same error!!! Smiley Sad

anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is what VMware support stated:

-

snip----

There are two possible solutions that you can use if this situation occurs, which shouldn't be too often as the only time it can occur is when the SMP license is added.

The two options are,

after adding the SMP license:

1. Remove and re-add the host again in Virtual Center.

2. Power on a virtual machine that has only one CPU before powering on any virtual machines with two or more CPUs.

These options will not require a reboot.

-

snip----

... I didn't add a SMP license - I had already two for my two managed servers. Maybe there was a problem on the license server. I asked the support team for that now waiting for response.

hth

daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
64 Replies
PepeVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Seems like ESX installation doesn't support vSMP. Have you checked feature enablement in MUI?

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would check

ESX host\Configuration\Licensed Features

and "ESX Server License Type"

to see if "Upto 4-way virtual SMP" is there/enabled...

also silly question this - how many physical CPU's do you have?

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX3 doesn't have a mui, and all licensing is done via the license server(installed on VC). however when i check the licensing the esx is picking up everything it should.

i tested creating a brand new VM and get the same issue so it is as if the ESX isnt licensed for SMP...

esx is set as standard license, SMP is there also i can see HA, DRS etc so licensing is working

0 Kudos
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the Server is a Dell PowerEdge 6850 with 4 dual core CPUs.

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

mmm, sounds like everything should be ok.... and vmware updated esx 2.x a while back to support dual-core so that can't be it...

perhaps you should check back with VMware...?

i've not built a 2-cpu vm yet under ESX 3.x so I am running a template build right now...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i have logged a call with them however it will be 4hours for a reply as its not a production VM... so much for platinum support!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

well, ive just successfully created my 1st dual-proc vm... (can't do 4-cpu's cos i only have two...)

my license?

just the GA Eval license which expires in september...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ive got the exact same problem - vanilla install from CD, using our NFR enterprise LIC on a dl585. Smiley Sad

Edited to add; Host is licenced for 4way procs (and I can select 4 vcpu's - creating a brand new vm gives same error.

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Added a dual proc DL380 G4 to the farm and it allows me to create and power on a dual vCpu VM. So it seems to have issue with my dl585

0 Kudos
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My problem turned out to be license related, check that you have set the license type to starter/standard and its not set to unlicensed.

0 Kudos
eliot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like it's a bug. Tech support directed me to this article:

http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?&p_faqid=2159

This solves it:

"Power on a virtual machine that has only one CPU before powering on any virtual machines with two or more CPUs."

It's repeatable; release the licence, re-add the licence, try to power on a dual proc vm and it fails. Power on a single proc VM first and subssequent dual proc VMs will work also.

Eliot.

0 Kudos
willards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue with ESX 3.0 and VC2. I was able to fix it by changing the host machine license from Standard to Unlicensed and then back again. Lo and behold it worked. I was then able to migrate 2 vCPU machines. I reported this to VMWare and they are going to report it as a bug with a workaround.

0 Kudos
jazcuy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had the same issue today - setting the it to Unlicensed and then back fixed the proble.

0 Kudos
vreihen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I had this issue today, trying to do a cold migrate between datastores ON THE SAME HOST. VC2 refused to let me migrate a dual-processor VM to the very host that it was running on before I had shut it down 5 seconds earlier! Licenses are all there for vSMP, and it makes absolutely no sense since there's already a few 1-processor VMs and a 2-processor vSMP VM running on this particular \[quad processor, dual-core, IBM x366] box..

I migrated it to another ESX3 host to get the datastores moved, and will either rebooth that ESX3 box later or give VMotion a shot and see if it will move the VM hot where the cold migration failed...

0 Kudos
mgelinas2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have had this problem intermitently, remove and readd the licenses to the ESX server under licensing. Wait a minute or so and try again. I believe this may be a licensing bug in VC 2.0

0 Kudos
ANewman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same problem as many others in this forum. I have tried everything above and no luck yet. I am putting in a request to VMware to see how they say that I should resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is what VMware support stated:

-

snip----

There are two possible solutions that you can use if this situation occurs, which shouldn't be too often as the only time it can occur is when the SMP license is added.

The two options are,

after adding the SMP license:

1. Remove and re-add the host again in Virtual Center.

2. Power on a virtual machine that has only one CPU before powering on any virtual machines with two or more CPUs.

These options will not require a reboot.

-

snip----

... I didn't add a SMP license - I had already two for my two managed servers. Maybe there was a problem on the license server. I asked the support team for that now waiting for response.

hth

daniel

0 Kudos
wunderon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Same issue as above, deployed a new VM from template, set to two CPU, bang, won't start.

I could resolve this by connecting directly to ESX3 with VIC and starting the VM there. Then subsquently managing it from VC.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Today I had the same issue. I rebooted one of my ESX servers. Afterwards I was not able to start any of the VMs. Seemed as if the VC lost the connection to the license server for this ESX. The other one was licensed properly. So I decided to restart the license Server and re-added the Host to VC. Afterwards everything works fine.

I hope I will not run into such trouble everytime I reboot the machine.

0 Kudos