VMware Cloud Community
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual machine config file does not exist

Hello

I get the following error when trying to access a VM's console in VI Inventory - "Virtual machine config file does not exist". Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

One option would be to create another VM with the same config. Let it create a vmdk and once the vm is created delete the new vmdk. Once this is done again edit the vm and add a disk. When you add the new disk seleck the option to add an existing vmdk and link it to the same vmdk from the original VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Are you connecting through a firewall? Is the VM running? Are you having the same problem with other VMs?

0 Kudos
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

No not connectig through a firewall and all VMs on the same SC are all ok. Just this one VM

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you rdp to the VM?

0 Kudos
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I didn't check before powering it off to see if I can rdp to it!

I can't power it on now and if I try I get the error that "general system error occured: the system returne an error. Communication with the virtua machine may have been interrupted"

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Login to the SC for the host that it is on and run

vmware-cmd –l

this will show the VM’s that are registered to it. If this VM dosent show up you can re-register the VM with

vmware-cmd –s register

this will register the vm with the Host and then try to start it.

0 Kudos
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I'm not actually seeing the server's .vmx, when I run the command vmware-cmd -l, but I see the servername_1.vmx is it a snapshot?

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You see this when you run vmware-cmd -l?

If this VM had the same name as another exsisting VM it would probably add the _1 during the configuration of the VM

I would try the vmware-cmd -s register

you can also remove the vm from the inventory NOT DELETE and then add it back.

First go into the configuration tab of the host and storage then double click the storage and be sure that you know where the .vmx is located. Then remove the vm from inventory and add it back again.

tyu7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Chamon

That was very helpful. I have located the VM by browsing the datastore, however, when I attempt to register by right clicking the .vmx file and selecting add to inventory, after naming etc, there is usually a warning that says the vm will be created without the guest OS. Is this true? Will I need to install the guest OS?

This server's application had alreeady been installed, and configured by our development guy, when the server was up and running.

Also would you have any idea how this error could occur in the first please?

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

No. What happened or was done to this vm? Was it renamed or something?

Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

One option would be to create another VM with the same config. Let it create a vmdk and once the vm is created delete the new vmdk. Once this is done again edit the vm and add a disk. When you add the new disk seleck the option to add an existing vmdk and link it to the same vmdk from the original VM.

0 Kudos
caterpillar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I have the same problem, but i dont have a VMDK. My Guest for some reason is in a single file (not a directory)

Thanks

0 Kudos
lbrindle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem. My VM's are typically fine for up to 1-2 days then they start falling over.

I get the "machine config file does not exist' on all vm's when trying to open the console.

The same pattern happens whether I have 1 vm running or all 3..

In the event logs I can see "Message from SERVERNAME: No bootable device was detected......."

All 3 vm's are running from the same sata hdd, I restarted the server yesterday and the vm's failed at the following times this morning. 04:18 , 04:21, 07:02.

Clicking on Server-> Configuration -> Storage, causes the VI client to freeze. After about 3-4 minutes the information about the data stores is finally shown. Clicking on "browser datastore" causes the vi client to freeze again, and doesn't recover.

I'm assuming that there is a problem with the disk or the sata controller, either hardware problem or compatability. Server is a new HP ML110G5.

If I restart the esxi server, the VM's start back and everything operates as normal.

0 Kudos