VMware Cloud Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual machine CPU usage spikes and remains abnormally high after VMotion in a VMware DRS enabled cluster, IS BACK!

Ok I have followed this and it does confirm that I have the problem however I

am now running 3.5.0 84374 post update 1.

I am still having this issue, i have

tried what is said in the KB and nothing seems to take care of the problem, if I

turn off DRS the problem does go away.

Stephen

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump,

Any Idea's?

Stephen

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using custom or default CPU share values for the VM's?

Try experimenting with increasing and decreasing the shares to see if things improve or worsen.

0 Kudos
dodell
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem in the following article, but applying update 1 fixed the problem: . It was working well for a couple weeks.

I just installed the patches that were released on May 1st and the DRS problem came back. 1 minute after I disable DRS everything is back to normal. I browse to the advanced setting of Mem.VMOverheadGrowthLimit and it is set at -1. Update 1 fixed this problem by making this setting a 5. The patches I applied removed the DRS fix that was applied in update 1.

Message was edited by: Ken.Cline to shorten the URL

Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes i think you are right the problem is back, it was fixed but with the latest patches it seems to be back.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump,

Does anybody else have this problem? the problem WAS fixed but now it's back with the latest patches.

Stephen

0 Kudos
JoshuaP
Contributor
Contributor

It's happening here too.

0 Kudos
JoshuaP
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003638 says "Note: This issue is resolved as of VirtualCenter 2.5.0 Update 1". My ESX Servers are up to date, but my VC server is not.

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have already updated to update 1 for VC and ESX, this took care of the problem. but when the latest patches came out it broke it again.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump,

How many people are having this problem after 4-30-08 patches? the problem was fixed when update 1 came out. then when i installed the 4-30-08 patches it broke it.

Stephen

0 Kudos
JaniT
Contributor
Contributor

Speedbmp:

We were also experiencing the same problem on ESX cluster with the latest updates installed.

I found this discussion after spending a morning trying to figure out what on earth was going on - all VM's were performing extremely poorly due to high CPU usage after migrations. After reading this thread I disabled DRS and in a few minutes everything was running smoothly again! Later on I re-enabled DRS and haven't had any problems in a couple of days (I left DRS set to "partially automated" so no migrations so far until this is resolved for good).

Jani

0 Kudos
John_S1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem here. Not all machines exhibit the behavior. All are using default settings, nothing custom. Fixed before patches, broken after patches.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Someone should teach vmware how to use snapshots as it seems they are constantly reverting their code after fixing something.

Either that or to use a code repository so they stop keeping multiple different copies of the code...

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So whats the best way to get this fixed? call VMware or wait tell they issue another a fix next month?

Stephen

0 Kudos
frankagricola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the trick that solved the problem for me was:

turning off HA and DRS on cluster

create new cluster

move ESX hosts to new cluster

move vm's to new cluster

turn on HA and DRS on new cluster

0 Kudos
John_S1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We opened a ticket with VMware and the end answer was they know the problem exists and it will be fixed in Update 2. No timeframe on the release date though.

Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am glad they are aware of the problem. for right now i will just have to keep DRS disabled.

Stephen

0 Kudos
MalcO
Contributor
Contributor

Would be useful if there was a method to uninstall vmware host patches.

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

True, it would also be nice to know which of the patches broke it.

Stephen

0 Kudos
MalcO
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed, though would be possible to find out if patches could be removed (albeit somewhat tedius).

0 Kudos