VMware Cloud Community
vCt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual hub/switch/router configuration ... is it possible?

Hi all,

I have installed some VMs on my Desktop pc.

The VMs can communicate with each other... I can ping from one to another and connect to shared resources.

Now I wish to define the way they are connected... i.e. I wish to have two VMs connected through a virtual-hub. Then the hub and a third VM are connected to a switch which is connected to a router. Visually it will look like that:

vm1 -

>|+++|

vm2 -

>|HUB|------>|++++++|

vm3----

>|SWITCH| -

>|ROUTER|

There is no reason for the specific configuration. The configuration will be changed from time to time (if possible).

If possible, it is also desired to define different types of routers e.g. sisco, aztech, etc.

Best regards.

vCt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Wrong forum then. :-<

But If you look at manual:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws6_manual.pdf

page 272 I think

You can see how to configure a private network (host only network).

and a public network (custom networking).

I think you have to create vswitches anyway and the choices are made when you create a vm or later editing the configuration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can create as many virtual switches/port groups as you want and connect virtual machines to internal/external network.

The three vm have to be isolated or not?

If so you have to create 1 new vswitch, create a port group for the vm and connect the three vm to it.

Otherwise give more details.

0 Kudos
vCt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First of all, thanks for the fast reply!

Now I must confess and tell you that I didn't quite understand your question... What does it mean isolated? -- I don't know.

May be I wasn't clear...

All the vm's[/b] are on the same physical machine[/b] (Host), i.e. there is ONE PC which have three VMs installed[/u] on it.

The switch, hub and router ARE VIRTUAL[/u][/b], they do not exist physically[/u].

is it possible to do that?

Best regards,

vCt

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Isolated means the VM's are on the same network and cannot see anything else but other VM's on that network, ie. no external hosts, no VM's on other vswitches. You can create a isolated VLAN by create a vswitch and not assigning a NIC to it so it is in Internal Only VLAN. You can only create virtual switches in VMware, if you want a router you would have to create a VM that acts as a router.

fyi...if you find this post helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons...thanks

vCt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok...

vm1 and vm2 constitute the local network and are connected through a hub - i.e. isolated.

The hub (the LAN) and vm3 are connected to a switch which is further connected to a router and then to the Internet - i.e. non-isolated.

*) How can I do that?[/b]

1) How can I define a V-HUB?

2) How can I define a V-SWITCH?.... How can I define its type (producer, version, ... etc)

3) How can I define a V-ROUTER?.... And how can I define its type (producer, version, ... etc)

4) is there a way to visually view the configuration[/b] of my V-Net?

Best regards,

vCt.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

A vswitch can be:

1) a hub

2) a switch/router

In the first case USING VI CLIENT create a vswitch and call it HUB INTERNAL , don't connect any vmnic to it, create a port group for vm (VM INTERNAL), then connect vm1 e 2 to this switch.

In the second case create a vswitch and connect some of your vmnics to it (fill flags), then create a vm port group and connect vm3 to this port group.

VSWITCHES are like Cisco switches. You can change port numbers and some other features.

You don't need anything else.

Your vm3 is going outside through the physical adapter connected to the second vswitch.

You can look at configuration from VI client.

Click on Host then on right on Configuration and tehn NEtwork...

Please give us points for helpful and correct answers.

vCt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for the following stupid question Smiley Happy

VI CLIENT is something that needs to be installed in addition to my workstation? (if so, then what exactlly should I buy?...[/b] is it possible to [u]try[/u][/b] first?)

Or is it part of it?

Best regards,

vCt.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VI Client (Virtual Infrastructure Client) comes with ESX and VirtualCenter and is used to manage the ESX server. If you are using the free product Vmware Server it comes with a different client that only works with Server.

0 Kudos
vCt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Then what is best for me?

Should I download "Archives for VMware ESX Server 2.x"

or sould I download "Archives for VMware VirtualCenter 1.x"

Or may be both?[/b]

Best,

vCt

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ops, may be there is a big misunderstanding here.

What VMWare product are you using?

VMware ESX, Server or Workstation?

0 Kudos
vCt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Im using a Workstation[/b]

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Wrong forum then. :-<

But If you look at manual:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws6_manual.pdf

page 272 I think

You can see how to configure a private network (host only network).

and a public network (custom networking).

I think you have to create vswitches anyway and the choices are made when you create a vm or later editing the configuration.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah I noticed that to, I had a feeling he might be using Server, he posted in ESX but he mentioned a desktop PC.

0 Kudos
vCt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry....

can you pleas give me a link to the correct forum?

I will post it there.

Best regards.

0 Kudos