VMware Cloud Community
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Machine slow to Power Up

Good Afternoon,

I'm running ESX3.5 Update 4 in my development environment and have noticed that virtual machines take a while to power up.

Basically, when I select Power Up, the task details pane shows it getting to 95%, then it appears to have for approx 1-2mins and then finally powers on.

Could this problem be down to DNS resolution?

It's definitly not a resource issue on the ESX Host as this behaviour occurs when powering on the first virtual machine without any others turned on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert

It could be related to the creation of the swap file. Set a memory reservation for the full amount of configured memory and try it again. If it's quicker, then you might just have a lot of RAM assigned to the VM or seeing some storage latency.

paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert

Danm66 is right - if the VM has a large amount of memory and it is creating the swap file when you start the VM then it can take a long time.

What is the Vm? How much memory have you allocated to it? Is it a member of a resource pool and if so, what configuration does the Pool have?

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Guys, thanks for the above responses, however I managed to resolve the problem almost immediately after creating the post.

It was 'name resolution' which sorted my problem.

Basically, I put host entries on all my ESX servers pointing to the management server, and ensured that the management server had a host entry for all the ESX Servers.

Bingo! VM's now power up immediately.

0 Kudos
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert

Excellent - glad you got it sorted Smiley Happy

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
0 Kudos