VMware Cloud Community
foofighter26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual Machine hits 100% CPU with VMotion?

Hi I have DRS/HA Cluster of seven ESX 3.5 blades (HP BL20P G3 8GB) whenever a virtual machine migrates using DRS to another blade it hits very high CPU and becomes unresponsive for a short period of time then settles down.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think this was a known issue that has been resolved in VC 2.5 update 1. Here is a link to the knowledge base article on it.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1003638&sl...

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think this was a known issue that has been resolved in VC 2.5 update 1. Here is a link to the knowledge base article on it.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1003638&sl...

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
foofighter26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for the quick reply, I already have VC Update 1 installed.

Paul

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you see the section at the bottom called Working around the issue if it persist after upgrading to VC 2.5 update 1. Wonder if that will apply in your case? Outside of the document I wouldn't know what else to do.

BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This was fixed in U1, then one of the post Update 1 patches broke the fix.

I tested this in a lab before moving to 3.5 U1 + patches (through June) and was able to hit 100% (or high cpu) after vMotions. Implementing the VMOverheadGrowthLimit on VC did the trick:

foofighter26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks both of you I have set the config file to a value of 4 and it has fixed the issue. 4 is if you already have update 1 installed. 5 is if you have not.

thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos