VMware Cloud Community
Tion911
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Machine can't ping ESX Host

I have a server running ESX Host 3.5 Update 4 and I've been having a weird problem. I've been searching for days and can't find an answer so maybe someone could help.

My ESX Host works perfect. I can manage it by web or by VI Client. Setting up and installing VM's works just fine. The problem that occus is with the networking of multiple VMs. I have one virtual port group for the VM's that is connected to a Virtual Switch that is linked to a physical nic. The service console is also connected to that one Virtual Switch. The problem is that only the first VM that is turned on will be able to connect to the internet and other devices/computers on the network. I have 5 different VM's all with different OS's and the same network settings. No matter which one I start up first will work, but only that first one. The rest of the VM's can only ping that VM that was started first. They won't ping the ESX Host or anything on the network.

The gateway for the network is 192.168.1.254, the ESX Host is 192.168.1.110, and the VM's are 192.168.1.111-115, the DNS is 192.168.1.50

All the VM's have static IPs. They each have their own respective IP, the gateways are all set to 192.168.1.254 and the DNS to 192.168.1.50

Yet still only the first one turned on works, and it works perfectly, can see everything on the network and connect to the internet.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

SuryaVMware is absolutely spot on with his suggestion. I went through the same scenario on the 3750's a few months back myself.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I moved your topic to a more appropriate subforum. (3.5 instead of 3.0)

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It appears that the Physical Switch security settings are not allowing multiple MAC registed on the same port.

A quick way to resolve this is configure the port as a Trunk port.

What is your Physical Switch ? If the answer is cisco, it's worth taking a look at the following 2

switchport port-security maximum

switchport port-security violation

Good reference for the same is availble here.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6123047.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/port_...

Hope this helps.

-Surya

Tion911
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My physical switch is a Cisco 3750. The security configuration was all done before it was given to me and I never even looked at it. I will certainly check this out tomorrow morning. Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

SuryaVMware is absolutely spot on with his suggestion. I went through the same scenario on the 3750's a few months back myself.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
0 Kudos
Tion911
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You were absolutely correct, that was indeed the problem. Thanks for the help! I'd spent days trying to figure this out, it never occured to me that the problem could have been the switch, heh. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
StephaneBlais
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Surya! Your answer solved my problem!

Stéphane

0 Kudos
ASIFIQBAL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's Great. It,s Solve my Problem, I am pinging the host but i can,t. this resolve my issue which i am trying to spend 4 days.

Thanks your reply Surya. Its help many people to resolve their issue.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos