VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Machine Startup

Following a power failuire where all ESX hosts where powered off the VM's didn't seem to be powered back on in any specific order. I believe that HA restart priorities wouls not apply due to all hosts in the HA cluster going down and also the startup delays on each ESX didn't seem to take affect either. This was raised when I was unable to log onto Virtual Centre once I booted all ESX's back up, I later discovered that my Domain Controllers where the last VM's to be powered back on although they are actually configured with the lowest startup delay and high restart priority in HA. Any ideas?

Also, whilst in the subject off startup delay, I am unable to change the time, it shows in the activity panel as being configured but the time doesn't actually change.

All repsonces much appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The HA settings do not apply if the entire cluster dies all at once.

I've not fully tested it, but you may be able to get further with the "Virtual Machine Startup and Shutdown" features (under the configuration tab of each ho, provided you have VirtualCenter 2.0.2 and up. (Versions below this mangled the settings during VMotion.)

0 Kudos