VMware Cloud Community
RAJB2004
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine FTP slow.

Currently i have just installed ESX3.5 on an IBM X3550 machine. I have created a Virtual machine which is a dedicated FTP server for clients. Now with the performance of the VM its all good. But my clients are having issues connecting to the ftp. As they say it takes around a 1 min when trying to log in. My Virtual Machine resides on a DS3400. Central Storage. Now i don't know what seems to be the problem could anyone help me out.... By the way i am running CENTOS 5.2 on my Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums - what sort of vswitch are you connecting to your vm? HOw many physical NICs does the vswitch have? Do you have vmware tools installed in the vm?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
matuscak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen this sort of thing with broken reverse DNS lookups on the server. Usually the FTP server tries to do a reverse DNS lookup on the client's IP address. If rDNS is broken, it will freeze the login until it gets a timeout.

0 Kudos
mvarre
Contributor
Contributor

in addition to reverse dns settings you would probably want to turn off IDENT in your ftp config. i wouldnt expect this to be an issue with VM, rather it is most likely just an FTP server config issue.

0 Kudos
RAJB2004
Contributor
Contributor

Well i turned off identlookups aswell as reverseDNS but the problem still remains... First i had vsftpd daemon working i cudn;t turn off idents there so i reconfigured server with proftpd and turned off both identlookups and reversedns still the problem remains... My Vswitch has one Gigabit ethernet attached to it. I don't have vmware tools installed on the virtual machine.. N secondly i am totally new to ESX...... So could someone point me in the right direction..

0 Kudos
matuscak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How about running Wireshark on the server and tracing the traffic to see what's going on on the network?

Does this happen with all clients?

How about when you run an FTP client on the machine where the server is?

0 Kudos