VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Appliance

I am running ESX 3.5 and Virtual Center 2.5.

I have some virtual appliances on a CD that I'm trying to run, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I uploaded all the files to the datastore (.vmdk's, .vmx, etc...)

I try to add a new virtual machine and when I tell it to use an existing virtual disk, I go to the location of the files, but they're not recognized.

It's looking for a vmdk file and I verified that the files are in the datastore, but nothing shows up.

Does anyone know how I can add this?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot run a virtual appliance directly on ESX you actually need to import before you can run it on ESX - From the VMware Basic System Admin PDF- , pg. 140

To import a virtual appliance

1 In the VI Client, choose File > Virtual Appliance > Import. The Import Virtual Appliance wizard is displayed.

2 Select one of the following options:

Import from File - Browse your file system for an appliance.

Import from URL - Specify a URL to an appliance located on the internet. Example:

Import from VMware Virtual Appliance Marketplace- Select from VMware appliances available on the VMware Virtual Appliance Marketplace web site.

3 Click Next. The Virtual Appliance Details page is displayed.

4 Click Next.

5 If license agreements are packaged with the appliance, the End User License Agreement page is displayed. Agree to accept the terms of the licenses and click Next.

6 (Optional) Edit the name and select a datacenter. A default name might be provided. You can optionally edit the name. The name can be up to 80 characters long and can contain alphanumeric characters and the underscore ( _ ) and hyphen (‐) characters. It should also be unique within the virtual machine folder. Names are case‐sensitive.

7 Click Next.

8 On the Host / Cluster/Resource Pool page, select the host, cluster, or resource pool (if applicable) in which you want to run the virtual machine and click Next.

9 If you selected a cluster or a resource pool on the previous page, and DRS is disabled or is in manual mode, the Specific Host page appears. Select the host on which you want to run this virtual machine, and click Next.

10 Choose a datastore for the virtual machine, and click Next. The virtual machine configuration file and virtual disk files are stored on the datastore. Choose a datastore large enough to accommodate the virtual machine and all of its virtual disk files.

11 If your infrastructure contains multiple networks, map each network specified in the OVF file to a network in your infrastructure.

12 Click Next.

13 Review your settings and click Finish.

The progress of the import task is displayed in the VI Client Status panel.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or useful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That worked. Thanks for your help.

I am using the Accellion Secure File Transfer Virtual Appliance,

but I can't seem to find any documentation on username and password.

Do you know where I can find this so I can login?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos