VMware Cloud Community
Prost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Guests in Virtual Infrastructure client

I have recently upgraded to VI3 Standard from ESX 2.x. In ESX 2.x I was using the VMware Management Interface on the host to allow the users to connect and was able to allow users to view only the guests that they had access to by changing the permissions on the .vmx file.

I am now setting up the VI Client and can’t figure out how to change my view or at least change the permission on the guest so that a user only has access to startup and shutdown only the machines they are allowed to access and not others.

If it makes any difference I am using Kerberos to authenticate my users against my Active Directory domain using the instructions found here

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_esxcfg_auth_tn.pdf

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Curdasss
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When ever you add the user there is a drop down box in the right of the screen, under assigned role, that will allow you to scroll down and select Virtual Machine Power User.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Curdasss
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You want too give permissions for the people on the VM level only not on the root of the Server or DataCenter. If you give them Virtual Machine Power User rights on the particular VM that should work enough.

If they are Windows2000 or 2k3 why not allow them to connect over RDP and give them rights on the particular server?

0 Kudos
Prost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply

Yes you are correct, I want to give permission on the VM level not on the root of the host or DataCenter. In the VI client when I right click the VM and go to Add permission it is setting up global permissions? How do I give Virtual Machine Power user rights on an individual VM?

The users need access to power on and power off the VMs when they are needed. That is why they need access to the VI Client.

0 Kudos
Curdasss
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When ever you add the user there is a drop down box in the right of the screen, under assigned role, that will allow you to scroll down and select Virtual Machine Power User.

0 Kudos
Prost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was it I feel like an IDIOT

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
sreekspeaks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I only see "No Access", "Read Only", Administrator roles. I am connected as root using VI client. What am I doing wrong ?

0 Kudos