VMware Cloud Community
LA18
Contributor
Contributor

VMware converter used, but unable to import when browsing datastore for VMDK file

I recently converted a physical server to VMDK files using the free VMware-converter-3.0.2. I stored all the virtual files on a datastore that we use for our virtual environment.

When I browse the datastore from Virtual Infrastructure Client, I see 2 files:

BMKESX4.vmdk

BMKESX4.vmx

However, when I create a new virtual machine within VIC and select "use an existing disk", browse the Disk File Path to my datastore, I do NOT see the vmx or vmdk files that should be there. Any ideas?

I'm using ESX 3.5 and we do have the enterprise converter, but did not have it when I converted this partictular physical server into a VM. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TH3_Dude
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue.

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello LA18

Try to clone your virtual disk wich has been created by vmware converter with : vmkfstools -i sourcedisk destination disk

you should now be able to see the disk again with "add existing disk"

0 Kudos
LA18
Contributor
Contributor

This sounds like a good option, but my physical server has already been formated. I ran the converter and then wiped the server clean, so all I have are the VMDK's, VMX, etc....

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

maybe is worth the time to do the trick with your existing .vmdk files from the service console

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

did you also try to create a new virtual machine and use then use existing disk feature

0 Kudos