VMware Cloud Community
Rogg23
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Performance Testing

I am looking at ways to performance test ESX hosts.

What I want to do is along the lines of:

1. Add x number of VMs to the host, measure performance with machines running idle. Then load a percentage of the VMs are retest performance, keep doing until all VMs are running under load.

2. Increase the number of VMs by x and retest the steps in test 1 to try to find the point where performance is impacted.

3. Add a second host, set both hosts in a cluster with DRS and perform the same tests in 1 and 2.

Has anyone done anything similar, or have any recommendations for how to do this. Perhaps using powershell scripts to output relevent information to a CSV (such as CPU ready values)?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can use VMMark tool to test the load of your environment here or use SPECweb for the web components, SPECjbb for java applications etc...

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Rogg23
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, VMmark had crossed my mind, but I don't want to create defined tiles to test. I want to test the specific VMs that are going to be in my environment.

Regards,

Roger.

0 Kudos