VMware Cloud Community
rrosenkoetter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Infrastructure 3: Deploy, Secure and Analyze

Anyone take this class yet? It's supposed to be the "advanced" class (I like that they make you take a test before letting you sign-up for the class, if you never took the VI3 Install & Configure Class)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Dude, the class is good for you if you have the money. I've took both classes and still has the materials and its great reference. Its prequisite to take the VI Install & Config class.

But if you're tight with money and want to know all about VMware, hit VMTN daily and read all VI documentations online and dig around with your ESX dev boxes and you're good to go.

Good luck!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to know alot about security just put a Watch on Texiwill's posts. He's a pretty good security guru and authoring an upcoming book that will have alot on ESX Security.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

esiebert7625,

Do you happen to know Texiwill's website or blog to read more of his goodies! I've read most of your stuff and there are great chief.

I was thinking if you can compile a lists of production application servers for best practices and configurations strictly for ESX 3.0.2 environment so people can look at it as a base configuration for there VMs. Youc ould recommend number of vCPU, Memory usage, and other tweaks that help boost performance and ESX administrator management tools such as Veeam FastSCP, VMTS Patch Manager, etc..name it folks.

Example Servers:

Citrix server

SQL 2000/2005 server

Blackberry server

Domino Server

Exchange 2000/2003 server

IIS 6.0, Apache, Tomcat, ColdFusion, Websphere

DNS, DHCP, File and Print serversr

These are common servers that most people be utilizing for ESX environment but dont' know how to best configure it. If you or other ESX guru has configured this in real production than its good to know your feedback.

That would be helpful.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

He has a website listed in my profile for him. He has alot of great detailed posts here on the Vmtn website particularly in the Security forum...

http://vmware-land.com/Vmtn_Spotlight.html#Texiwill

In addition to his forthcoming book he already has another book out (Linux book).

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781555583286&itm=1

Message was edited by:

esiebert7625

0 Kudos