VMware Cloud Community
d3l0n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware HA

Hello,

I've download an evaluation version of VMware Infrastructure 3 to be able to test VMware HA, and also use VMmotion. I'm unable to find these two applications, and I'm also unable to create templates from VMs that I have created.

Any help?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

All the features you want requires you have Virtual Center installed.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

all of the features in which you are talking about are features within VC. Did you install a VCMS (Virtual Center Management Server)?

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You'll need VirtualCenter and a SAN (or iSCSI). Do you have both?

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

All the features you want requires you have Virtual Center installed.

0 Kudos
d3l0n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy, I've downloaded VCS which replaced VCMS, and tried to install VCS its not installing on Win64x so I'm only stuck with VMC.

gary1012, I've both.

0 Kudos
JaySMX
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMotion has some strict requirements, take a look at this guide for all the info you will need.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_admin_guide.pdf

VMotion requirements begin on page 234. VMotion requirements are more stringent than HA requirements, so once you have VMotion functioning HA will work as well.

-Justin
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In order to run x64 you must enable VT technology in the HOSTs bios, then shutdown the host and bring it back on-line for it to take affect. Is there a reason why you want to install VC on a 64bit guest? I would stick with 32bit W2k3 guest and then install VC on that.

0 Kudos
d3l0n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shared storage is in place, VCS is failing to install on Win64x.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

see my previous post.

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here's a document on how to install your VC. Page 65

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
d3l0n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't have Win32x, at least for now. I will try to install it on a VM Win64x and see if that will work. I have the VT enabled, and I was able to install Win64x without complete shutdown, do I still need a complete shutdown? Because I couldn't install Win64x on a VM before I enabled VT.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

following the install guide, you should be able to get VC installed successfully.

Check back when that is complete and we'll help you with the setup of the rest.

good luck.

also, don't forget to award points for helpful/correct answers.

0 Kudos
d3l0n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to install VMware Infrastucture 3 successfully (Including VC server).

I have a question in regards to VMware Virtual Center, every timeI try to run it I get a Windows asking for a server, a username, and a password: I tried using the ESX server and the username and password of root on that server, and I also tried VC server address and username and password, but both did not work.

Any help?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the VI client you can login to either VirtualCenter or directly to an ESX host. When connecting to an ESX host you'll use an account (like root) that exists on that host. When you want to login to VirtualCenter, you'll use the IP / hostname for the VC server and then login with an account that has admin rights on the VC server (i.e. the account you used to install VC). The login to VC will always be an account from the Windows domain or local Windows account (or just a local account if the VC server is in a workgroup).

rajkn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can not ssh to ESX hosts either? Did you set "PermitRootLogin yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config? If you haven't, please retry after changing it (you need to do "service sshd restart").

~rajkn
0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello d3lOn,

When you install VirtualCenter 2.5 it uses the connected Active Directory domain. The domain administrator and members of the local administrator group have VirtualCenter 2.5 Admistrator rights per default. so don't use the root account to login to virtualcenter this will not work.

0 Kudos
d3l0n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you everyone for your help.

0 Kudos