VMware Cloud Community
mdz4ju
Contributor
Contributor

VMware CPU/RAM Util..

We have a couple hundred VM's on hosts on 3 node clusters..

I want to track the memory and cpu utilization from a month standpoint and one of my engineers was able to extract the avg and max's of our clusters and hosts from a month standpoint. There's only one problem. The averages are from all the times and all the days, meaning nights, weekend, and daytime which obveously isn't ideal since there's idles times at night and on weekends which makes the averages too low and inaccurate given the thresholds I know vmware is supposed to have.

I also get a cpu/ram max and cpu/ram average which obveously differ. Is using either one more benefitial or could I use the median of the two to get a usable number for someone in management who only cares about the general number/idea?

What can I tell my engineer(s) to do in order to get averages/max's for cpu/mem util for only 9-5 mon-friday for the clusters or hosts? Is there a known script for this or something? We use virtual center if that is of any help.. Thanks guys!

-Mark

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

VM Ware doesn't have native access for this so you must use a 3rd party tool. There are many, but one we use is:http://www.vizioncore.com/vFoglight/index.html

This may help you out a lot better, it will even send you reports daily, or hourly and keep a history for as long as you want, and you can see as much or as little info as you wish.

0 Kudos
Raresh
Contributor
Contributor

I have used PlateSpin Power Recon in the past and you can schedule the monitoring based on your time frames.

If your virtual machines are running Microsoft Windows, you can use Perfmon (free option) to extract CPU, RAM, Disk information into CSV files based on your schedule. This can be done from a single Windows Management Server, but requires a lot of time to compile the data extracted.

Richie - www.equilibriuminc.com

0 Kudos
mdz4ju
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, very good insight. I was thinking about W2k server perftool you mentioned howver that would certaintly take too long.. I suppose I will look for a third party tool like ops manager's vmware add on monitoring tool.. it's rather cheap and seems like it could to the job right? any other ideas or recommendation of simply vmware monitoring tools that could dot he specific business hours monitoring I mentioned easily? Thanks.,.

link to the vmware monitoring tool add on I was referring to earlier..

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/opmanager/vmware-monitoring.html

Thanks for all your thoughts!

0 Kudos