kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMs Pretty poor performance but...

hi guys some info fisrt

• 6 ESX 3.5u4 - 1 Cluster - 1 resource pool all values by default

• 32GB RAM each ESX = 192 GB total

• 8 CPU x 2.9 GHz - Intel Xeon X5770 eachESX.

• View 3.1.1

• 270 VMs Windows XP SP3 - 1 vCPU - 512 MB RAM - power on all day long for servicing virtual desktops to Wyse Thin Clients. Software used: Internet Explorer - 2 third party apps - Word/Excel Viewers

• IBM DS4700 Storage 7 L UNS about 150 GB available for every LUN - Connected using Fiber Channel -

This issue is been for 2 weeks now,

7:00 am - Some people start working - they take calls and use the Wyse Thin Clients - 30 people - So far so good

8:00 am - more people log to the thin Client - 30 more people - So far so good

9:30 am - Nothing changes the same amount of people logged but VM applications start running slow, clicking win menu takes a lot to show up, Internet Explorer is prettty slow to open, if they try typing in the third party app they cannot see the app being updated - basically they cannot continue worlkin.

Interesting point here is and it has nothing to do with Vmware View is when you reboot a VM that is having te problem it takes about 10 - 15 minues to be up and running again I mean to show the promt for user/pass again. Not all the machines are rebooted, jus 3 or 4 since they are completely useless.

11:00 am - The VMs that were not rebooted are working fine again and during the day all VMs stay working fine even when there are even more users since at 1:00 pm more people logs to the systems. yeah this is a call center

Any pointer what logs should I check? or where to start Troubleshootin

I really don't see any high CPU or memory usage.

Is it OK this all 270 VMs power on even when only a maximum of 120 can be actually being used.

Any other idea what could be wrong?

and the most important fact here all days is he same time abot 9:28 - 9:32 am ?:| even weekends when the amount of people is like 20

CPU - Memory Usage

7909_7909.JPG

7910_7910.JPG

7911_7911.JPG

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Aloha -

I want to add my two cents here as I just came thru a similar ordeal. VMs/LUN isn't a 100% sure safeguard against problems. If you have 10-15 VMs/LUN - fine. Let's say you have 7 LUNs - all on the same SAN cluster. You still may be beating the hell out of the cluster. You need to look at things at a higher SAN level.. I had five LUNs on a "fast" cluster and one LUN on a slower, more highly utilized (by other systems) cluster. That one cluster recently reached its tipping point, and my VMs started losing their C: drive right out from under them. Not until I moved the VMs to the faster cluster did things calm down.

Bill

0 Kudos