VMware Cloud Community
Panzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMotion with only 2 NICs

One of my ESX 3.02 hosts has only 2 NICs, one for the SC and one for the guests. I need to configure VMotion temporarily so that I can live migrate the guests to the other ESX servers. As soon as this is done, I will upgrade the server with more NICs, and configure it properly with a dedicated VMotion NIC. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could use either NIC, but choosing the vswitch that is bound to the SC NIC would have the least impact on the running of your VMs. Would it be correct to assume that you have 2 virtual switches? If so, you'll want to go to configuration \ networking and bring up the properties for the SC vswitch. If you don't have a vmkernel port, click on add and run through the wizard to add a vmkernel port to this vswitch. Make sure to check the 'use this portgroup for vmotion' option. Ideally you would isolate vmotion traffic with a VLAN, but if it is just temporary you can skip that. You could "protect" your vmotion traffic by using a different subnet from the rest of your LAN. The VC server does not need an IP on the subnet that you pick to use for vmotion. Repeat this process on your second server. When you're done you can check the networking setup by pinging the other host's vmkernel IP with the console command vmkping. Assuming you have licensing in place for vmotion and the VMs are on shared storage, you'll be ready to try to vmotion one to another host.

Once you start to add NIC, you could combine your SC port and vmotion vmkernel port onto a single vswitch which uses 2 NICs. That will provide some redundancy to your setup rather than assign one nic to just the SC and another to vmotion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could create anothe port group beneath vSwitch0 and have guest machines share the physical NIC with the service console.

To do this, you'll most likely need to use VLAN tagging unless the service console and guests are on the same network.

Then you could remove vSwitch1 and re-create this as a VMkernel switch for VMotion.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could use either NIC, but choosing the vswitch that is bound to the SC NIC would have the least impact on the running of your VMs. Would it be correct to assume that you have 2 virtual switches? If so, you'll want to go to configuration \ networking and bring up the properties for the SC vswitch. If you don't have a vmkernel port, click on add and run through the wizard to add a vmkernel port to this vswitch. Make sure to check the 'use this portgroup for vmotion' option. Ideally you would isolate vmotion traffic with a VLAN, but if it is just temporary you can skip that. You could "protect" your vmotion traffic by using a different subnet from the rest of your LAN. The VC server does not need an IP on the subnet that you pick to use for vmotion. Repeat this process on your second server. When you're done you can check the networking setup by pinging the other host's vmkernel IP with the console command vmkping. Assuming you have licensing in place for vmotion and the VMs are on shared storage, you'll be ready to try to vmotion one to another host.

Once you start to add NIC, you could combine your SC port and vmotion vmkernel port onto a single vswitch which uses 2 NICs. That will provide some redundancy to your setup rather than assign one nic to just the SC and another to vmotion.

0 Kudos