Jump to solution

VMotion problems with different CPU´s

Hi,

I have a ESX Cluster with 4 Hosts. These Hosts have the following CPU´s:

1. Intel Xeon 5160

2. Intel Xeon 5160

3. Intel Xeon L5320

4. Intel Xeon L5335

VMotion is running fine without problems.

Now, I added a 5th cluster host with Intel Xeon L5420

When I want to migrate a VM, I get this message: "Unable to migrate from xxx to xxx: Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machine´s requirements at CPUID level 0x1 register 'ecx'. Mismatch detected for these features: SSE4.1

Before I bought the new hosts, I checked the compatibility matrix and I´m sure that this CPU is working.

How can I solve this problem? I read the KB1993 but I don´t get it 😕

Any Idea´s? I don´t want to edit every VM (there are 29 vm´s in the cluster) ..

May I disable SSE4.1 for the new host ??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are correct. Even if you do get it to work, it wouldn't be a supported configuration. To test it, you'd ideally just configure a test virtual machine with the appropriate modifications based on KB #1993. More specifically, you'd want to follow the instructions in the "Modifying the Default Mask" section for SSE4.1:

Modifying the Default Mask

Hope that helps!

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi PKaufmann, VMware KB article 1991 should clarify a bit more. In your case, the 5100 series (Woodcrest) and 5300 series (Cloverfield) are compatible (they'd be in "Group B") because they're both based on the Woodcrest design. The 5400-series (Harpertown) CPUs, however, are of a different architecture (they'd be in "Group C"). As the KB article indicates, VMotion between Group B and Group C is not possible without applying the SSE4.1 mask. Even if you do apply it, it is not supported functionality. The Wikipedia article below should offer some insight as well. Sorry not to have better news!

VMotion CPU Compatibility Requirements for Intel Processors

Xeon - Wikipedia

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit
PKaufmann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thnx for your quick reply..

So VMotion is possible if I apply the SSE4.1 Mask, right ? But In this case, it is not support. .

How do I apply this Mask in order to check if this is working or not.

If I can not use VMotion, then I think there is no need to put this host into the cluster ...

0 Kudos
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are correct. Even if you do get it to work, it wouldn't be a supported configuration. To test it, you'd ideally just configure a test virtual machine with the appropriate modifications based on KB #1993. More specifically, you'd want to follow the instructions in the "Modifying the Default Mask" section for SSE4.1:

Modifying the Default Mask

Hope that helps!

-Amit

0 Kudos
PKaufmann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I´ve changed the CPU Mask of 2 VMs and VMotion is working... I think that will solve my problems for a while ..

I will test with some un-important vms and we´ll see Smiley Wink

Thnx

0 Kudos