VMware Cloud Community
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMotion issue.

Hi All,

I'm having a problem migrating VM's onto a new host in an existing cluster.

When I try to migrate a VM to the new host I get a cpu incompatibility error. (See attached) However my cpu's are from what I can see compatible. they are Intel zeon x5450 3Ghz running in Dell 2950's.

I have had this problem before with hosts in a different cluster that the cpu's were not compatible and I was able to get around this by enabling EVC and live migrating the VM's to a new cluster and that worked fine. If I try this within this cluster I get the same error with EVC enabled. I can migrate the VM's when they are powered off, but as the hosts should be compatible and I've migrated VM's live to an EVC cluster before I'd like avoid downtime.

Also to make it more confusing there are a couple of VM's that migrate to this new host without issue while running. With or without EVC.

I have checked the BIOS settings and they are ok. Can anyone help with this.

Mike.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you try this

Power down the virtual machine.

Click the link to Edit Settings of the virtual machine.

Click the Options tab.

Select CPUID Mask under Advanced.

Click Advanced.

Click Reset All to Default.

Click OK.

Click OK again.

Power on the virtual machine and migrate.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you try this

Power down the virtual machine.

Click the link to Edit Settings of the virtual machine.

Click the Options tab.

Select CPUID Mask under Advanced.

Click Advanced.

Click Reset All to Default.

Click OK.

Click OK again.

Power on the virtual machine and migrate.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can try hide the CPUID NX flag from the VMs but required downtime though. You may want to create a new cluster that already have EVC enabled and then disconnect the host from cluster and re-add to the EVC enable cluster that would prevent from downtime. Its one of the trick from I'm sure this is not the issue but check if you have any CD/ROM or floppy disk mounted to anything that prevent you from VMotion but it will give you different warnings.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Troy,

I can migrate them while switched off, but they should migrate while running as all servers in the existing cluster including the new server have identical cpu's. I would like to avoid downtime.

Mike.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If the VMs required on-line while migration, then the only workaround as mentioned on the link it requires extra clustered already enabled EVC and migrate host by hosts. You will have to power off if you do not have extra EVC clusters around! Perhaps, you can perform migration during maintenance windows or weekend less disruptive.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your replies.

I had this issue with another datacentre I maintain. In that situation the cpu's were x53xx and x54xx respectivley. I created a new EVC cluster and migrated hosts and the VM's live with no downtime.

In this case the CPU's are identical and shouldn't require EVC. I have tried it anyway with no joy.

I've logged a support call and they are currently looking at diagnostic logs to try and determin why the live migrations are not working.

Thanks

Mike.

0 Kudos
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

The only information I was given from the support call was to shutdown the VM's and reset the cpu masking and then power up again. I have tested this and it does work. However I would like to avoid shutting down VM's.

I'm still confused to why I cannot migrate these VM's live. The only difference is the cpu stepping levels. The current live hosts are at stepping level 6 and the new host is stepping level 10. I wouldn't think this is an issue as a different cluster within our environment has 3 different stepping levels and this works fine.

Can anyone provide any help?

Mike.

0 Kudos
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only way I have been able to do this is by shutting down the VM's and resetting the CPU masking. Downtime was a pain, but all working now.

Mike.

0 Kudos