VMware Cloud Community
badsound
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMotion & iSCSI

We are having problems getting vmoition to work accross our iscsi san. we have 2 esx hosts in the same data center. one has been configured for all vm's for the past several months and we are now adding a 2 esx host for vmotion. all networks are the same, vfms volumes have been setup and are in use for the original esx host. The new one can see the iSCSI LUN's, but if we try to add the datastore to the 2nd esx host, it erases the storage, thus wiping out all our VM's. How do we get the storage configured on both boxes for vmotion to work? What are we missing here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You shouldn't add storage on your 2. host you need only rescan and when all is configured correctly your 2. host will see the lun and the vmfs volume.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What sort of iSCSI san are you using and do both ESX servers see the share storage with the same LUN ID(s)?

Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i get this problems some times too.

install first server, configure SAN

install 2nd server, scan LUN. The 2nd was unable mount the vmfs. when you try to do this manually, 2nd host want create a new one.

But after a reboot the 2nd server was able to mount the vmfs, i dondt why, reboot helps me everytime in this case !

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Not to sure, what is your iSCSI SAN, we have FC SANs and EqualLogics iSCSI SAN as well as IET iSCSI..

And by a mile the iSCSI is quickiest and easiest when we use VMotion.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You shouldn't add storage on your 2. host you need only rescan and when all is configured correctly your 2. host will see the lun and the vmfs volume.

0 Kudos
badsound
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are using datacore's sanmelody on a dell 1950 box with a md1000. The LUN id's are different, and different path. Our san box has 2 nic, one esx host is going to one, and the 2nd, to the 2nd one. this way we can load balance. and both esx boxes can see the same thing. so for this instance, esx1 currently attacahed and running VM's the path is vmhba40:0:2 Lund ID 2, there are some other volumes, but that is the main one. on esx2 host it shows the same LUN, but with a path of vmhba40:1:1 Lun ID 1. so i know the ID's are different, but the path are different on purpose, and so when we try to add the storage to teh 2nd box it wants to delete everything that is already there.

0 Kudos
badsound
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sp upon reboot, iscsi was actually disabled, but upon reenabling it all was configured. now when i try to add the volume it just errors out and won't do anything. Someone else posted right below this one that i am not even supposed to add storage to the 2nd esx host? how is that supposed to work when using different iscsi paths and the paths and LUN Id's show up differently? i am i missing something on the SAN config side?

0 Kudos
badsound
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you guys, i was overlooking one important part....LUN id's must be the same, duh! we are all working now. thank you for making me rethink the most basic things!!!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad you got it worked out. When you mark a question correct you also have the option to mark which posts were correct and helpful.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Maybe you can join in the tests here:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=610876&#610876

Will be interesting to see SanMelody with SAS (you have sas, haven't you).

0 Kudos
badsound
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes we are using SAS drives........

0 Kudos
badsound
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

will do. thank you for the heads up....