VMware Cloud Community
mitvix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMotion compatible with Intel Xeon

hi everybody, is a pleasure make part of this team.

Only to take off this doubt in practice environment.

Go on, I want know if somebody have processors from family Xeon 5130 and Xeon 7120N and have in your park all compatibility between both with VMotion.

More specifically between IBM xSeries 3650 Intel Xeon 5130 and IBM xSeries 3850 Intel Xeon 7120N.

Thank you very much.

Alexander

Alexander Manfrin VCP - VMware Certified Professional Owner www.vmworld.com.br +55 61 8110 2665 - Brasilia - Brazil
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

ALL intel are compatible.

The only problem you might have is if you move FROM AMD to Intel, then there could be an issue.

Otherwise the entire Intel Family is fine for vmotion... If you are asking about moving VM's between Intel Boxes.. Otherwise vmotion itself is hardware independent.

0 Kudos
zbenga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

run this command on both machines and compare

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

compare the flags between the xeon processors, if they are the same it should be OK

0 Kudos
Andrew_Judge
Contributor
Contributor

Here you go. It's not IBM. It's Dell's specs, but the processor models are there and the compatibility between 32 and 64 between all supported SSE3 and architectures.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/vmotion_compatiblity_matix.pdf

Best regards,

Andrew Judge

MCSE: Security, RHCE, ACHDS, ACTC, CSSA, CCA, NCIE, A, Security, 3Com VoIP, VCP, VSP

Contact us by e-mail: support@grovenetworks.com

\----

CEO, Grove Networks Inc.

Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Certified Apple Consultant Network Member

3Com Voice Authorized Partner

Silver Citrix Partner

VMware VIP

Phone: 305.448.6126

Fax: 305.437.7685

http://www.grovenetworks.com

0 Kudos
mitvix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andrew,

Thank you very much, your contribution for this community is very important. Dell do a good job with this specs, I hope that IBM do too.

I planning mixed family of Intel 5130, E5310 and 7120N in my farm. In this way is very important that all details are explain before the purchase of this amount of IBM Servers.

Thanks,

Alexander

Alexander Manfrin VCP - VMware Certified Professional Owner www.vmworld.com.br +55 61 8110 2665 - Brasilia - Brazil
0 Kudos
mitvix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I run the grep in /proc/cpuinfo and have a little bit difference beteween 5130 and 7120N Intel Xeon. The only difference is referent NX flag.

I don´t know if only this difference can be a difficult for VMotion or can be?

IBM xSeries 3650 Intel Xeon 5130

\[root@srvtorio root]# grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm NX lm

IBM xSeries 3850 Intel Xeon 7120N

\[root@srvaluminio root]# grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm lm

[]´

Alexander

0 Kudos
mitvix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bingo.

NX flag (Intel Processor).

My xSeries 3850 with Intel Xeon 7120N don´t show this flag for some reason that I don´t know yet.

0 Kudos
zbenga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

then you must turn the NX flag off in all the servers BIOS, HP have an option in their Proliant, IBM should as well

vmotion works with the missmatched NX flag but HA will not work (that is from my experiences)

I have different cache size and speed in Mhz between my Xeons (DL360 and DL380)and Vmotion, HA, DRS works fine

edit:

maybe you can enable it in the BIOS and have them all with the NX flag Smiley Happy try

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit

some info on what NX is

0 Kudos
mitvix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you.

0 Kudos