VMware Cloud Community
badazws6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMotion between 3.0.2 and 3.5

When live migrating from ESX 3.0.2 to ESX 3.5 VMware gives an error:"Migration will cause the virtual machine's configuration to be modified, to preserve the CPU feature requirements for its guest OS." This error indicates that the .vmx file is about to be changed. The upgrade guide says you should be able to do this... Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
arkaries
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you are exactly right. vmkping origination must start from the 3.5 host.

0 Kudos
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks allot GraphiteDak, VMKPING worked for me.....3.0.1. to 3.5 update 1 using VC 2.5 update1.

regards

Bernie

http://sanmelody.blogspot.com

0 Kudos
tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you know if this issue helps 3i U1 (just the embedded version - no service console)

I noticed that on the new serevers created on the 3i (or 3.5) plattform creates alot of other options in the vmx file (auto bios boot option, and alot other stuff)

Did any of you manage to "upgrade" the vmx-file with all the new settings without booting the vm?

T

0 Kudos
monsterpuss
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issues on a 2-node cluster where I have updated one of the nodes from 3.0.2 to 3.5u1.

I've tried the vmkping option and get a response. I find myself still unable to vmotion though.

I have been told by HP support that I need to shutdown the VM's that are on the 3.0.2 host, cold vmotion them, power them up, update the VMTools (which requires a reboot). I should then be able to vMotion. This means to reboots, where I had hoped to be able to perform the upgrade with only 1 reboot (or even less) per VM.

I don't recall seeing any reference to this in the upgrade guide either!

0 Kudos