VMware Cloud Community
Wall-E
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion and Storage Motion DR question

Have a bit of a situation pertaining our VI3.5 environment and DR. In our main site, 1.1.x.x/16, we have our 2 ESX servers and SAN. I our secondary site, 1.2.x.x/16, we have another 2 ESX servers and another SAN. All the ESX servers in the primary site participate in a DRS cluster. VMs are stored on a LUN on the SAN which is replicated to the secondary site. Issue we are trying to detemine is how to implement Storage Motion and fail-over to the seconday site if the primary site becomes unavailable. Can anybody shed some light on the situation? I am not sure if Storage Motion can move VMs between SANs, and if so, once moved, what about mounting VMs in a different subnet?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Since you already have replication in place I would look at Site Recovery Manager - it is designed for doing the very thing you are looking for -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Wall-E
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Weinstein,

I have described the plan we intend on using, but if we do not replicate the VM SAN LUN, will Storage Motion still function? And what about the VMs trying to run in a different subnet since they have static IPs from the primary site? Does Site Recovery Manager handle this? Don't answer this, I just read up about Site Recovery manager and it changes the IPs for the disaster site.......Next time read before posting, eh! Anyways, one last dumb question. Do the ESX servers in the secondary site need to be added to the DRS cluster in the primary site through the VC or do they remain seperate entities?

0 Kudos
Wall-E
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I'm taking it that no reply means that all ESX servers, no matter what subnet they are on, have to be part of the cluster for both DRS and HA to function.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No it is called being busy - HA and DRS only work with in a cluster and clusters can not cross VC Datacenter objects

0 Kudos