VMware Cloud Community
blackhauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMotion Question - From Xeon, to QuadCore...??

I have a couple of x365 IBM servers and just received in our new Dell 2950's with QuadCore procs. I keep getting a CPU ID error when trying to migrate VM's and I'm afraid if I flip off the NX setting that I'm going blow something up...

Can anyone tell me what the NX setting actually does? (What security features am I going to lose?)

Am I going to be able to migrate the VM's to the new hosts?? or have I wasted my money...??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The NX bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit

Your OS probably doesn't use it by default (though Win2K3 sometimes does).

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
blackhauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you're saying it's safe to go ahead and turn it off and migrate? Or can I just ignore the error and migrate anyway? Most VM's are Win2K3... No x64 systems...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I think the safest way would fe turn off the vms and cold migrate - because I do think there will be more incompatibility then just nx/xd bit -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

You won't be able to migrate with VMotion between dual and quad without masking cpu functions. However if you shut down and cold migrate it will be fine, it'll throw a warning about incompatible CPU's on the new system when trying to start it. If you hit accept it'll hide the incompatible cpu settings. Before you turn on the guest I would right click and upgrade the virtual hardware and then start the system and make sure the tools are upgraded afterwards.

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Actually you can migrate between dual and quad core processors as long they are compatible mening the same family/generation of the core processor - also I believe the warning is more of an FYI in case you need to make any changes to the guest o/s kernel/HAL and no modifications are mafe tot he setting of the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

Yes but his original question was to migrate between an x365 and new Dell 2950's with quad cores. Which most certainly would mean that the CPU's will be of a different generation.

Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I agree 100% - it is a curse but I am stickler for detail - I did not want people think they could not migrate between dual and quad core of the same generation/family -

0 Kudos