VMware Cloud Community
tvmo
Contributor
Contributor

VMkernel Port Group and Default Gateway

Hello,

VC 2.5 ESX 3.5

If I have two VMkernel ports on the same ESX host, but on separate switches and on separate subnets (i.e. one on 192.168.161.x and one on 10.1.161.x), as I understand it I can only have one default gateway address. So for example, both the VMkernel ports I gave in my example may both have the defdault gateway 192.168.161.254. Is this correct?

What if I am accessing two NFS storage servers on each of those VMkernel ports that are on different subnets? Will only one VMkernel port reach the NFS storage, i.e. the one on the 192.168.161.x subnet? Do I have to add a static route to the ESX host for 10.1.161.x traffic to be routed out the 192.168.161.254 gateway?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

So for example, both the

VMkernel ports I gave in my example may both have the defdault gateway

192.168.161.254. Is this correct? No need to assign same gateway in 10.1.16.x

Vmkernel Switch port connected to 192.168.16.x network will have access to NAS server in 192.168.16.x subnet

Vmkernel Switch port connected to 10.1.16.x network will have access to NAS server in 10.1.16.x subnet

So esx can be able to access both NAS servers from diffrent subnets

In case of shared storage then routing need to done between the subnets

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
tvmo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I thought it was a requirement to provide a valid default gateway when creating a VMkernel port?

Cheers

0 Kudos
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

If you have network setup with gateway address then ok otherwise no need

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
tvmo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos