VMware Cloud Community
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMkernel Default gateway not set.

Hi all,

Just been auditing our farm and noticed that the "VMkernel Default gateway" is not set on on cluster number 2.

I would like to set this if possible to avoid any lossof functionality that it may cause. However how do i know what the correct "VMkernel Default gateway" actually is in order to apply the settings. and where may i find this info (if its availaible....)

With regards

Paul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We normally use VMkernel for some reason such as :

• VMotion

• iSCSI

• NFS

You may need to route your host traffic through gateway to connect to your iSCSI or NFS storage on different subnet. Hence, if the traffic for those three (Vmotion, iscsi & nfs) no need to be routed to different subnet via gateway, I dont think you need to configure "VMkernel Default Gateway".

Btw, the correct "VMkernel Default Gateway" should be the gateway which able to route your host traffic to different subnet depend on the purpose of your existing VMkernel (VMotion, iSCSI, NFS)

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

I agree. You won't need a vmkernel gateway if all the traffic comming from and to VMkernel (VMotion, iSCSI, NFS and FT in ESX 4) stays on the same subnet (all ESX servers in the cluster, iSCSI and NFS targets are in the same IP segment). Otherwise, you will need to provide the ip of a gateway, which is capbale of routing to these systems.

Kind regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos