VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Tools Stopping

I am running a Win2003 virtual machine on an ESX 3.5 server along with about 10 other virtual machines. VMware Tools on the Windows 2003 server will randomly stop running and I have to manually start it again. It will eventually stop again and I have to start it again. I don't have this issue with any other vm's. Does anyone know why this might be happening or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sounds to me like you have some issues with that guest. I have not experienced the issue you see, but maybe the bottom of this thread may help, even if it is quite old.

http://x220.win2ktest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5772

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you tried to re-install the tools?

scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not yet. Do you expect that would fix the issue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can't say for sure, but that is where I would start.

....als, make sure the VMware Tools Service is setup as Automatic and Logon As Local System.

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is set up as automatic and local system. I'll give reinstalling it a shot tonight when I can reboot the server.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you're welcome. Just one more point. Ensure the tools are not newer than the ESX Host in which it's running on. Meaning if you have a mixed environment run your tools at the lowest version ESX Host until all ESX versions are the same.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the tools, but it's still stopping.

I double checked and my hosts and the vmware tools version are both at 3.5.0 build 123630.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you checked your event logs? There may be something in there that can point you to the cause of the tools service stopping. So you have antivirus software running on the guest?

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I actually am getting errors about the anti-virus definitions not getting loaded. I've also got a ton of "Windows couldn't log the RSOP session status errors". I may have some other underlying issues. Have you ever seen the RSOP issues on vm's. I read that might have something to do with a cloned machine.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sounds to me like you have some issues with that guest. I have not experienced the issue you see, but maybe the bottom of this thread may help, even if it is quite old.

http://x220.win2ktest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5772

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're amazing. I've been looking forever for a fix that actually worked. This cleared up all my WMI errors.

My VMware Tools is still shutting down, but I've also got some issues with Symantec anti-virus. I'm going to troubleshoot those and hopefully that will solve my problem.

Thanks a lot,

Scott

0 Kudos